New Video Flying around El Salvador

Oscar Avalle

On 6/22/2020 at 8:39 AM, steingar said:

The adventures you have, amazing!

On 6/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

This is the second part... with a landing at the end...

hank 

On 6/21/2020 at 10:06 PM, carusoam said:

Nailed the center line!

Nice work Oscar!

Thanks for sharing the extras...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was hiding something...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I was hiding something...

Never thought you were.  There's a Youtuber fellow who routinely lands his Skylane on jungle strips and and sandbars.  Very adventurous, but not something one would do in a Mooney.  Still hoping to get mine south of the border one of these days.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:06 PM, steingar said:

Never thought you were.  There's a Youtuber fellow who routinely lands his Skylane on jungle strips and and sandbars.  Very adventurous, but not something one would do in a Mooney.  Still hoping to get mine south of the border one of these days.

Yes,  I saw his videos. Amazing videos.  There is one where he lands on a field that you could hardly define as a road...

Although I land often on grass fields, I am still scared of landing my Mooney on fields that are not "perfect". I also think that our Mooneys are not well suited for those bushflying fields. We stand simply too slow. A small ditch, or a hole.... and you get a prop strike. So lets be careful

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, steingar said:

It does in mine.

4 hours ago, steingar said:

It does in mine.

Yes, it depends. Mooney tried to save some money in later models and they eliminated that option. I always wondered if it really made any difference in terms of speed. For sure it looks nicer when it retracts.

• Like 1

The modern step is aerodynamic and isn’t very noticeable...

The old retractable step with square tube structure... when left down, has a slight yaw that goes with it...

If you have a step that needs a Servo update... there is a kit available for that including an electric motor...

My 65C had the vacuum driven step Servo drive...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:49 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Yes, it depends. Mooney tried to save some money in later models and they eliminated that option. I always wondered if it really made any difference in terms of speed. For sure it looks nicer when it retracts.

Interesting info thank you.  I have seen other C owners with the retractable kind forget and discuss it on YouTube.   the old structure did cause slight yaw and they suspect a small speed impact

On 6/21/2020 at 5:14 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

This is the second part... with a landing at the end...

Oscar have you ever flown back and forth to US in your Mooney?  I’d like to fly mine down Central America someday.  I grew up there but currently live in US

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 3:07 PM, Pilot boy said:

Oscar have you ever flown back and forth to US in your Mooney?  I’d like to fly mine down Central America someday.  I grew up there but currently live in US

I fly it regularly uo and down. In the last 5 years I have done it 4 times. Not a big deal, once you get over the fear of flying over water... 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

I fly it regularly uo and down. In the last 5 years I have done it 4 times. Not a big deal, once you get over the fear of flying over water... 

I may have to consult with you on this in the future.  My biggest knowledge gap would just be how to file with  all the different countries involved.  I'd be flying into Costa Rica from Texas

We need to get Oscar to a Mooney Summit so he can give a talk on international flying (Central and South America). Would like to do that some day but would have to do some serious research before attempting it. At least I’m fluent in Spanish so that should help, but I don’t know any of the ATC lingo in Spanish so probably a few hours listening to live ATC from Central/South American would help. I know all the air traffic controllers should know English but not sure you can count on that. I think I even listened to one of Oscar’s videos once and the controller was speaking to one pilot in English and to everyone else in Spanish so situational awareness for the English speaking pilot was probably not that great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi there! I would be more than happy to go to a Mooney summit just to hang out and if I can share some of my experience flying around the region happy to do so.

My big plan now is to fly down to Argentina at the end of the year. My wife gave me reluctantly the green light for the project (she just asked me after a long discussion, about my life insurance policy). So it may be a go. I am currently trying to figure out the route. The shorter route is via the Pacific but it seems more complicated and I would have to cross the Andes, which by itself if a huge problem for a non turbo plan...

In any event with covid everything is a no go... and my plane is in the paint shop...

I tried several times to organize my life to be able to get to a summit, but mostly work ruined my plan. But if you guys ask me to present I am sure I will make it.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2