Blue/green fluid under wing

I noticed some blue green fluid under my wing leaking from this panel. The round panel in front of it is the access panel for the landing lights. The fluid is oily and viscous. Does anyone know what this fluid is and what is behind this panel?  This is the right (starboard) wing.  M20R.

20200620_133236.jpg

20200620_133234.jpg

Yep, that's fuel.  I think that panel is the speed brake access panel.  The fuel is not coming from there, though...it's seeping back from another location in the wall of one of the fuel bays....

I'm not a mechanic but I play one on the internet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Typical fuel leak.  You might be able to take that panel off and see if the stains inside make it obvious exactly where the fuel is getting out.     That may not indicate exactly where the patch needs to be done inside the tank, but it'll give you a rough idea.

• Like 1

FML.  I had a suspicion of fuel because of the color but it was way more oily and viscous than clean 100LL and didn't evaporate which made me think it might be something else.  This was the first time I filled the long range tanks ALL the way up so that had something to do with it.  I'll see what I can gather from looking in that panel.  Thanks for the info as always.

3 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

it was way more oily and viscous than clean 100LL

That's just because the avgas was the solvent that kept the dye dissolved.  Once the solvent (100LL) evaporated away, which happens pretty quickly, the remaining dye is what you're left with there.  Good luck with this - we all hope it's an easy patch/fix!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

FML.  I had a suspicion of fuel because of the color but it was way more oily and viscous than clean 100LL and didn't evaporate which made me think it might be something else.  This was the first time I filled the long range tanks ALL the way up so that had something to do with it.  I'll see what I can gather from looking in that panel.  Thanks for the info as always.

Indeed fuel.

Pull that rectangular access panel, remove the screws on top of the wing holding the speed brake in place and gently lower the speed brake.  Inspect up inside with a mirror and flashlight to determine where the leak is.  If it isn’t apparent, clean the area with mineral spirits and paper towels and monitor to determine where the leak appears to be originating.

Steve

53 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

Have your wings been sprayed with any type of anti corrosion spray recently?  The green viscous nature suggests Corrosion X.  The blue staining is fuel.

Clarence

On 6/21/2020 at 8:15 PM, M20Doc said:

Have your wings been sprayed with any type of anti corrosion spray recently?  The green viscous nature suggests Corrosion X.  The blue staining is fuel.

Clarence

Not unless it was done at the annual but that was in February.  I will see if they did anything like that though.

9 minutes ago, r0ckst4r said:

Not unless it was done at the annual but that was in February.  I will see if they did anything like that though.

I’ve seen corrosion-x weep out of joints/seams years after it was applied

• Like 1