Which Mooney

TCC

TX to Buffalo... is perfect for Ovation type flying...

If doing that often... that is a lot of time not available for other things...

Going faster would be better... Acclaim is pretty good at that...

Which will prepare you for the turbine... if you really keep it up...

How much flight experience do you have?

How much do you want to get?

Some people are just driven this way....   :)

Best regards,

-a-

I went through this when I chose to commute. At 700 NM, my trip was about 1.5 hrs shorter in a Mooney vs the airline route. Cost was more expensive in the Mooney. It comes down to cost vs time/convenience. Unless you are going to get a plane with O2 and FIKI, you'll run into winter dispatch issues. Even with those tools you still won't have 100% dispatch rate.

Just go in with your eyes wide open.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m on the mid Atlantic coast. Any destination east of the Mississippi is a one tank trip in my 20S+.. We aren’t spring chickens, so a four-hour ride tests our comfort level, and we are happy to take a break, borrow a crew car for lunch, and stretch our legs. Yes, even with two of us, off-peak hub-to-hub trips may be cheaper. But we are nowhere near a hub, nor are most of our destinations. And with airline overbooking antics, scheduling miseries and TSA abusiveness, I don’t care whether it’s cheaper or not! I rarely if ever spend less time door to door going 121, unless I’m headed to the other coast. One frequent route of mine is from my rural N.C. home to STL. Usually takes just under 4 Screaming Eagle hours westbound. The CG insisted on buying me an airline ticket to a training conference. It took from 5am to 11 pm door to door by airline. Ugh! 

I love the GA scenery, the technical challenge, the flexibility, — and my seat assignment. The guy next to me never hogs the armrest.

If you love the process, and owning a high performance bird is feasible,  the decision is easy. Find a good Mooney. Buy it. Fly the heck out of it.
Probably doesn’t make economic sense for me, but my Mooney makes me happy. They’re right, you know: if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. Some things are priceless.

• Like 5

I'm KSJT based with a Mooney. Step 1 needs to be to get on the T-Hangar list at City of San Angelo -- $205/mo. for single pistons. There's a 6-month waiting list. Otherwise, Ranger Aviation FBO can store your plane in their community hangar for $300/mo. The Ranger deal is also a concierge service. Call them and your plane is outside the FBO within 30 minutes gassed up if requested. After landing, they tow it back in the hangar for you. Ranger also discounts your fuel $0.10 per gallon, but both FBOs there are high on gas at $5.40 or so...

For hops to DFW, fly to Arlington Muni GKY. $10 per night outside parking. Gas is sub-$4/gal. An Uber to DFW airport is ~$30.

For AUS trips, Georgetown GBU has the best self-serve price and it's right in the middle of most of the wokeness Austin has become. It's about 1:10 to GBU from SJT.

Ranger used to be a Mooney dealer. The owner owns a '64 M20C. I do too. My panel is worth more than the damned plane! But it has a 500-600 mile easy radius with 54 gallons. You can fly to Utah on that range!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jghyde said:

I'm KSJT based with a Mooney. Step 1 needs to be to get on the T-Hangar list at City of San Angelo -- $205/mo. for single pistons. There's a 6-month waiting list. Otherwise, Ranger Aviation FBO can store your plane in their community hangar for $300/mo. The Ranger deal is also a concierge service. Call them and your plane is outside the FBO within 30 minutes gassed up if requested. After landing, they tow it back in the hangar for you. Ranger also discounts your fuel $0.10 per gallon, but both FBOs there are high on gas at $5.40 or so...

I was quoted $1000/mo just for a community hangar in SoCal.  I'm taking this post as a personal attack.