Playcards decals

rotorman

Just now, Greg Ellis said:

He said he looked at LASAR and they had one but not the other.

Sorry, I hit Submit too soon. I meant that you might need to call them if you just looked on the website. The factory is shipping parts and perhaps they can order it from the factory. They just got me a couple of placards for the baggage compartment.

Skip

Another plus for Aero Graphics.  They sent me the flap/trim decal (x3, actually) for FREE.  She said it was such a minor run and no big deal.  I told her I’d be redoing more graphics in the future and Aero Graphics would get my business.  

I called them a few months ago when I was redoing the flap/trim indicators.  I had discovered the carpet pile over the nose gear wheel well was interfering with the needle movement.  Trimming the carpet pile for more clearance fixed it.  While I had it all apart, I replaced the sticker.     

6DBE29E8-3F70-4028-BC8C-E661355B7483.thumb.jpeg.edbe278b49fa0055ce3310dc6f04101f.jpegEF547231-CEC4-45A5-BFE5-25DCD6891FB7.thumb.jpeg.9af6f9b0669f7f0af60c95b686353851.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

They did. I sent them pictures of  the placards and decals directly out of the POH. I got a quote back this picture. My fuel selector placard has gotten pretty ratty looking and the tow limits is unreadable. Very nice folks to do business with. 47U gets credit for the referal.

M20J decals.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be doing all my own laser engraved placards to replace my ratty / missing ones using either engraving aluminum or plastic. I don't like the white on beige color of the original placards, not enough contrast for the lettering to be very readable.

Here's a before and after shot of my first effort, replacing the face plate of my annunciator switch panel.

If anybody is interested in working with me on similar replacements let me know. 

20200619_135832.jpg

new_annunciator.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, y2kiah said:

I will be doing all my own laser engraved placards to replace my ratty / missing ones using either engraving aluminum or plastic. I don't like the white on beige color of the original placards, not enough contrast for the lettering to be very readable.

Here's a before and after shot of my first effort, replacing the face plate of my annunciator switch panel.

If anybody is interested in working with me on similar replacements let me know. 

new_annunciator.jpg

That looks great,  but why stop there? Why not just take one piece and go all the way up to include the three screws and all the way down around the shadin and the rheostats with nice laser engraved graphics around the rheostats?

9 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

That looks great,  but why stop there? Why not just take one piece and go all the way up to include the three screws and all the way down around the shadin and the rheostats with nice laser engraved graphics around the rheostats?

Thanks! Not a bad idea, it would look cleaner all as one piece. The face plate actually sits about 1/8" proud of the instrument panel because there is an aluminum plate behind the face plate, so it wouldn't work. Also the whole thing screws into studs mounted on the annunciator circuit board. I'll do a similar overlay around the shadin and panel lights, and maybe above.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, y2kiah said:

Thanks! Not a bad idea, it would look cleaner all as one piece. The face plate actually sits about 1/8" proud of the instrument panel because there is an aluminum plate behind the face plate, so it wouldn't work. Also the whole thing screws into studs mounted on the annunciator circuit board. I'll do a similar overlay around the shadin and panel lights, and maybe above.

Looks great. What kind of laser engraver are you using?

I never tried laser engraving. An avionics shop made a bunch of placards for the museum DC-3 using traditional mechanical engraving. They looked great. But then we discovered that the glare makes the legends unreadable under some lighting conditions.

12 hours ago, PT20J said:

I never tried laser engraving. An avionics shop made a bunch of placards for the museum DC-3 using traditional mechanical engraving. They looked great. But then we discovered that the glare makes the legends unreadable under some lighting conditions.

Yeah I have a spindle CNC as well, and it's definitely more difficult to engrave than the laser and still get super shallow engravings. CNCs are also more limited on the fonts you can use, as they do better following single strokes for lettering, and with a cone shaped engraving bit you get that deep pocket. Even on the laser, I don't like the sheen of engraving plastic so I hit mine with a matte clear coat afterwards, which also helps prevent fingerprints.