Fall out from repaint

ZamF16

Just wanted to pass along an issue that cropped up due to the repaint of our '89 TLS Bravo.  We had Aerosmith Aviation do a strip and repaint as well as a complete overhaul of our interior 2 years ago.  We have been very pleased with the quality of both.  However, it appears that they did not adequately remove all of the paint stripper from the small spaces like the gear wells.  Like many other Bravo owners, we have the vacuum powered speed brakes.  The conduits for the actuator cables run from the vacuum driven actuator in the belly through the main gear wells where the cables continue into the wings and connect to the speed brakes.  Our conduits completely disintegrated over the last couple of years, likely due to the paint stripper.  This left the metal conduit lining splayed out in the gear well.  Luckily, Precise Flight still sells these cable/conduit kits for the vacuum driven speed brakes.  However, it was a couple days of work to get the old cables removed and the new cables and conduit installed.  It was slow progress, because of the tight quarters in the belly bulkhead where the actuator mounts.  This included removing the back seats and the floor pan to gain better access to the actuator and pulley system from above  

I am not sure what I would have done, hind sight, other then tell Aerosmith to make sure they clean all the paint stripper off components.  I am pretty sure they would have said, "well of course, we know what we are doing."  I just want others to be aware of the collateral damage that can be done when having caustic chemicals sprayed all over your airplane.  And to make sure you do periodic inspections of your aircraft particularly after repaints or other major maintenance.  I know...common sense, but hopefully this is one more thing people can put in their clue bag.  

Dave  

Edited by ZamF16
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ther shouldn’t be any paint stripper in the wheel wells.  That laminated spar is exposed and it wicks it’s way into the small spaces between the parts.  Then they usually use a pressure washer to remove the stripper which drives it further into the seams.  A few year later, corrosion is evident on the spar cap and it gets really expensive to fox that.  

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they used pain stripper in the wheel wells, because the interior of the wells and the gear were completely repainted.  I will reach back out to Aerosmith and verify.