TCM and “on condition”

Airways

Is there any publication from TCM where they take a stand in favour or against “on condition” operation of an engine beyond TBO ?

Of course as a company you want to sell as many engines as possible, and TBO helps in that way, but other than that...

Is the only thing that is going the old “TBO is a recommendation only” ?

11 minutes ago, Airways said:

I’m going to re-register my plane (intra EASA) but the potential new CAA only accepts the registration of a plane with the engine beyond TBO if the OEM allows it.

I found this Service Letter from TCM

It does not look like there is a provision from the OEM for "on condition"....However:

Depending on your engine model and serial number, you may qualify for an extension of 200 hours (newer serial numbers) and another 200 hours (flown an average of 40 + hours per month) as is noted in the chart in the service letter:

"1. If an engine consistently accumulates 40 or more hours per month since being placed in service, add 200 hours to recommended TBO.
2. Engines with Serial Number 1006000 or higher, add 200 hours to TBO as noted in table above"

Also, it references the use of the Hobbs meter as the "official" hours in use.

How many hours does your engine have?

My tsio360 has about 2080 hrs on it.  The document you provided is more about an extention to TBO which really just defines a new TBO under the listed conditions.  I’d argue that “on condition” has no more defined TBO. It is already positive that TCM recognises the improved manufacturing and analytical tools we have nowadays...

• Like 1

TCM is pretty good...

1) their engine ops documents include LOP as a standard... eliminating the ‘black magic’ aspect.

2) The TBO extension document update officially acknowledged engines that run, are better than engines that sit idle.

3) The TCM engine break-in documented procedures were a comfortable way to get their engines started off on the right foot...

4) MSers have had good contact with people at the TCM factory over the years.

5) For additional information... contact the TCM factory directly...

6) For another viewpoint or resource... find the gentleman who wrote the STC for the 310hp O3 power plant...

7) For proper contacts...  there is one or two around for TCM here somewhere...

PP thoughts only, not a shill for TCM...

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/19/2020 at 1:55 PM, bradp said:

Seems like a lot of people would benefit from an N_reg.  Just saying.

While certainly true in many aspects, it makes life more difficult as well, with good IAs not being prevalent this side of the pond. Not to mention licensing issues, especially with the uncertainty about travel to/from the US and training in the US (TSA, INS, not the FAA); a flight review is more of a challenge as well, although the smallest.