Oil Leak

Just discovered an oil leak. Normally I wash the engine with AVGAS or Kerosene, then run idle, then look. I saw these UV flashlights at Autozone. Anyone have any experience with these, or any better ideas on chasing these down? The engine shop put the prop on wrong (it almost killed me), and I have only ran it an hr since. Maybe residual from that incident? Oil return tubes and valve covers look ok. I didn't really dig that deep into it, but I am this weekend.

20200618_145614.jpg

• Sad 1

I have run dye in my engine and then used uv or blue light to find leaks. I would check your rocker tubes and covers. 
Only take a small amount of oil to make a large mess. I’ve had good luck with. Aviation simple green in a mix with a siphon sprayer and air hose. 
Could be residual, but I bet not.

-Matt

4 hours ago, robert7467 said:

Just discovered an oil leak. Normally I wash the engine with AVGAS or Kerosene, then run idle, then look. I saw these UV flashlights at Autozone. Anyone have any experience with these, or any better ideas on chasing these down? The engine shop put the prop on wrong (it almost killed me), and I have only ran it an hr since. Maybe residual from that incident? Oil return tubes and valve covers look ok. I didn't really dig that deep into it, but I am this weekend.

20200618_145614.jpg

Tough for me to tell in the picture, but is that blue goo?  As in fuel?  That’s a common place to get fuel if the intake gasket isn’t sealing or the bolts aren’t torqued right.

As Anthony says, just a common pilot, not an IA, A&P or any other type of mechanic.

• Haha 1

PP summary...

1) Looks like a lot of oil hanging from the bolt threads...
2) There is probably a puddle on the floor to go with that...

3) If that is the exhaust pipe leaving the cylinder...
4) There are only a few places that oil can easily escape and get there...

5) Good news... those are easy to find, and easy to fix...

6) As mentioned above... find the oil return lines and valve covers..... 

7) They have simple hardware holding them together...

8) The small hoses can be purchased easily...

9) The seals can be purchased easily...

10) The hose clamps can be purchased easily...

11) This may or may not be on the list of 23 things or so that can be done by the owner pilot....

12) Check the age of these little devices... they could be ancient, they might just need to be tightened... If they have old lock washers, don’t re-use...

13) It makes a great project to toss this stuff out and start fresh... all the same hardware put on properly... easy to inspect whenever...

14) then start looking for the leak...
15) Once all the polymer stuff has been changed...  Or cork, if it’s really old...  there arn’t many other places left to leak...

16) Then bring out the UV leak finder... it too soon to bring out the big gun....

17) find something better to wash with than 100LL... It leaves a lot of blue dye around... that can mask a different kind of problem...

18) You only get one chance to use the UV dye trick... don’t waste it on the easy stuff...

PP thoughts only...  Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, MB65E said:

I don’t think Fuel will drip on the exhaust tube like that,  but oil will.

#1 cyl FWD Rt hand side. 

-Matt

Fair enough, I was all turned around and thought it was an intake riser.

Clean the engine of any excessive oil using an engine cleaning chemical and a garden hose. Once the engine is clean and dry spray the suspected area with talcum powder, or better yet, I have found athlete’s foot powder (not the clear type) in a spray can works great without making your entire engine look like a powdered donut. 

Let the engine run for 1 minute and it will be obvious based on the powder where the oil is leaking from. It is a simple trick that still works well to trace all kind of oil leaks.

3 hours ago, DetroitMooney said:

Clean the engine of any excessive oil using an engine cleaning chemical and a garden hose. Once the engine is clean and dry spray the suspected area with talcum powder, or better yet, I have found athlete’s foot powder (not the clear type) in a spray can works great without making your entire engine look like a powdered donut. 

Let the engine run for 1 minute and it will be obvious based on the powder where the oil is leaking from. It is a simple trick that still works well to trace all kind of oil leaks.

And also rids your engine of foot fungus. 

• Haha 3

Several areas are wet, but no major accumulation. I am thinking that it might just be residual, or it could be coming from the filler tube "not tight enough", I still dont know how oil got to where it was, but with all the wind, it could have blown upwards then trickled down. I am about to buy a ton of brake clean, then give her another good runup.