Garmin GFC 500 AP for C, D, E Mooneys

On 6/18/2020 at 6:52 PM, jpindy said:

GFC500 is about $10,000 for the hardware and 3 to $4000 for the install.
Hardware includes GFC500, 2 brushless servos, and 1 G5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not so far off from what I paid for those components.  But you also need an install kit ($2k) and most people want trim (third servo plus installation: $2-3k) and the HSI ($5-6k).  And if you want TAS, you need the $1k widget for that.  And now you are at more like $25-26k.

• 2 months later...

I hope KPaul is correct.   I purchased a 70 M20F back in early July and it's in the shop now getting 2 G5s, GNX375, GMA 345, and a GTR200B.   I was hoping the GFC500 would be ready by now and I plan to install it as soon as it is.  I'm going with pitch trim but not the yaw damper.   Any thoughts on the benefit of the yaw damper?  I attached the before picture below...will add a photo of the new panel when complete.

IMG_8729.jpeg

Edited by Chris Briley
add photo

8 hours ago, Chris Briley said:

I hope KPaul is correct.   I purchased a 70 M20F back in early July and it's in the shop now getting 2 G5s, GNX375, GMA 345, and a GTR200B.   I was hoping the GFC500 would be ready by now and I plan to install it as soon as it is.  I'm going with pitch trim but not the yaw damper.   Any thoughts on the benefit of the yaw damper?  I attached the before picture below...will add a photo of the new panel when complete.

IMG_8729.jpeg

The date slipped a bit.  Apparently, there is a bigger difference between the F and J than the Garmin engineers anticipated.  They had to re-engineer the mounting brackets and then had to go back to the drawing board after the original brackets showed early signs of fatigue in ground testing.  It appears to be going well now, they have had the plane in the air 7 times in a week.  It is due back in my hands the first week of October. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Chris...

The answer to a lot of your questions is just a few clicks away...

Yaw dampers are good...

Spending OPM is a past time around here...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Yaw damper&quick=1

Go for it!

Best regards,

-a-

But how much yaw does 200hp generate? Much, much less than your 310hp!

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

But how much yaw does 200hp generate? Much, much less than your 310hp!

I believe this device is for smoothing the tail wag that can occur on bumpy days...

As for balancing the effects of torque... where the 310hp makes a huge presence... we have a setting for T/O on the rudder trim...

So we have the rudder motor and everything from back in ‘94... just need a brain and sensor to connect it to...

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/25/2020 at 10:41 AM, Chris Briley said:

Any thoughts on the benefit of the yaw damper? 

I never had a yaw dampener on my Rocket, medium body with 305 HP.  Never had any wag.  

One of the critical concerns on the Lancair IVPT is flying, even for just short periods, in uncoordinated flight.  With the wings designed for fuel from root to wingtip, 30-60 seconds of severely out of coordinated flight, (not hard to do with 724 HP on a 2500 pound plane), with a 1/4 tank of fuel, you will unport the line at the root.  

I elected to NOT hook up my yaw Servo almost 4 years ago, have yet to activate it and have found I am ridiculously better at detecting yaw.   I can actually detect it in the seat of my pants now.  

So, if you want to become a truly better pilot, skip the yaw dampener.  

Tom

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

So, if you want to become a truly better pilot, skip the yaw dampener.  

By this logic, jet, corporate, and airline pilots should keep their YD off to become better pilots---not.  I like having the YD.  It is much better than the ones that came with the BK autopilots because of the additional sources that control the servo.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

With the wings designed for fuel from root to wingtip, 30-60 seconds of severely out of coordinated flight, (not hard to do with 724 HP on a 2500 pound plane), with a 1/4 tank of fuel, you will import the line at the root.  

Okay, I get to be the stupid one. What does this actually mean?

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Perhaps — “unport” is the non-spell-checked intent?  

That said, don’t you have a header tank?

Yes, I do.  Just don't like relying on a back up for keeping fuel going to the engine.  A flame out in the pattern, after a long cross country flight, is just a bit more of an issue in a kerosene burner than running a piston plane out of gas.  You WILL NOT have time to relight before running out of altitude.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

By this logic, jet, corporate, and airline pilots should keep their YD off to become better pilots---not.  I like having the YD.  It is much better than the ones that came with the BK autopilots because of the additional sources that control the servo.

Funny you say that Don.  When I got to right seat the Ford Trimotor and was complaining how unresponsive the plane was in turns, the chief pilot told me use my feet.  Once I did it flew great (many years ago).  I commented you must have realized I'm a simple GA pilot.  His response was no, actually I thought you were an airline pilot.

Tom

So, to clarify to @Chris Briley , I’m not pushing against rudder TRIM, just feel having the AP handle ALL changes in flight regime (climbing, descending, power increases and decreases, left and right turns) dumbs down the pilot not knowing the airplane impact from those changes.  

Knowing how those inputs effect the airplane, IMHO, makes you more in tune with keeping the airplane within the best flight envelope.  Where will you find those characteristics most critical...... in the pattern low and slow.  In those very conditions, it’s highly unlikely you will have the AP engaged.  Having better stick and rudder skills in that environment takes precedence for me over “convenience” in cruise.  

Tom

4 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

It is a yaw damper. Not a dampener. 

In one respect it is a dampener. See 2 below.

dampener

(redirected from dampeners)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

damp·en

(dăm′pən)
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens
v.tr.
1. To make damp.
2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "as in, it depresses your wallet"
3. To soundproof.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

dampener

damp·en

(dăm′pən)
v.tr.
1. To make damp.
3. To soundproof.

Hey, look! You found the Aviation Definition!!  :D  :lol:  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

dampener

damp·en

(dăm′pən)
v.tr.
1. To make damp.
3. To soundproof.

PANELS-1-3.thumb.jpg.b9a66d5338a7e3acf6d9ac0a62e1ec04.jpg

What is for sale in this link?  A dampener or a damper?

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/gmc305-with-yaw-damper

Or:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_damper

Is like when people say they got there privates...LOL....Then you just correct them and say oh you got a private pilot license...

And here I thought a damper was that flap-thing between the fireplace and chimney to control the air flow up the chimney and thereby the intensity of the fire . . . .  :P   "Ya'll's damper ain't set right, that's why it's so smokey in here."

• Like 1

The thing next to Jim’s Yaw damper is a pass oxygen...

Whatever plane that is on, isn’t using the correct spelling for anything...   :)

The Damper is definitely in my fire place...

And my plane would be improved if something dampened the yaw...

So...  the right word is longer to spell... the button would probably say YawD on it...  you guys can call it anything you want... :)

PP thoughts only, not a plane builder...

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

So I am up very early this morning.  Couldn’t sleep for some reason.  Thought....what the hell...let me check the Garmin website for any updates.

Certification for the C\D\E\F\G is still in progress.  However there was an asterisk on the C,D,E models.  I thought this can’t be good.  Scrolled down to find this...

*Certain serial numbers excluded, see authorized Garmin installation center for details. Initial Mooney M20 C/D/E model coverage is planned to include model year 1965 aircraft and later only.

Mine is a 1963 C model.:angry:  What the hell.  Garmin is bound and determined for me not to have one of their autopilots.  Oh well.  Maybe I should buy a different plane....<_<:D