Garmin GFC 500 AP for C, D, E Mooneys

34 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I don't think you need the YD in a short body

The only people that need the YD are the ones that have flown with a garmin yaw damper before. If you've never flown with one youll be fine, because you don't know what you're missing out on. Just make sure you never fly one with a YD.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

The only people that need the YD are the ones that have flown with a garmin yaw damper before. If you've never flown with one youll be fine, because you don't know what you're missing out on. Just make sure you never fly one with a YD.

Kinda like that 310hp….  :)

Or that 180hp, when your prior experience was all 108hp…

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/19/2021 at 12:02 AM, Skates97 said:

Looks like my memory wasn't very good, mine aren't any different than yours.

Richard, thanks for checking!  The installer fashioned a bracket to hold the buttons and i think it will work well once painted black and labeled. Had to forgo the nice optional trim switch on yoke for the standard Garmin trim toggle1554972956_PhotoJul1925417PM.thumb.jpg.25682e4b4cf632c0b8cdfb0bf01bb321.jpg

2 hours ago, FlySafe said:

Richard, thanks for checking!  The installer fashioned a bracket to hold the buttons and i think it will work well once painted black and labeled. Had to forgo the nice optional trim switch on yoke for the standard Garmin trim toggle1554972956_PhotoJul1925417PM.thumb.jpg.25682e4b4cf632c0b8cdfb0bf01bb321.jpg

That's right where my Push-to-Talk button is mounted . . . .

2 hours ago, FlySafe said:

Interesting that it is just a toggle and not a split switch.

1 hour ago, Buckeyechuck said:

Thanks I will definitely check on those options for cost. It is a ‘62 after all. I’m already way beyond ever getting even a chunk of my investment back and still need a paint job. 

From day one I never planned to get any of my investment back in dollars, but in enjoyment it has paid me back ten-fold.

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

KP,

I think Siri altered your spelling… would wouldn’t…

-a-

Nope, in this case I meant would...I would recommend getting the electric trim.

I personally hate the little trim wheel between the seats.  I also like to keep my hands on the yoke and throttle during critical phases.

• Thanks 1

How do  you remove the Garmin AP (bottom switch) I have removed the silver collar but the switch won't budge.

I have similar setup except I put a bushing hole for the wing leveler disengage button and mounted my PTT switch.

I didn't want damage it. 

image.png.900c1078432aff6adcb781ea388398c6.png

I want to try out a different arrangement.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Thanks in advance,

James '67C

James, not sure how the PC button on yoke is removed but believe i have heard others mention it is held in place simply via an o-ring but I’m not an AP.  here is a few panel pics of the cleaned-up panel arrangement with the gfc500 installed.

Left side.jpg

center.jpg

right side.jpg

I was referring to removal of the  Garmin AP Disconnect red button see below.

The silver collar backs off easy but  doesn't come off the rest of button assembly didn't want to move.

I have already removed the PC wing lever button that is where my PTT is located.

James '67C

image.png.f21b4e1834a4901da4bd8604f09ecafd.png

Edited by jamesm
clarification

On 7/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, Buckeyechuck said:

Thanks I will definitely check on those options for cost. It is a ‘62 after all. I’m already way beyond ever getting even a chunk of my investment back and still need a paint job. 

Ha!  Calling it an “investment” is your first mistake!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jamesm said:

The silver collar came off easy but the rest of button assembly didn't want to move.

I have already removed the PC wing lever button that is where my PTT is located.

James '67C

Sorry misunderstood, sure someone here or your Garmin installer can provide some guidance, good luck

1 hour ago, jamesm said:

or expensive hobby :D

Are any hobbies really inexpensive? Like when a friend of mine talked me into working with the Boy Scout troop, "it's only a half hour meeting each week."

7 hours ago, jamesm said:

The silver collar backs off easy but  doesn't come off the rest of button assembly didn't want to move.

James '67C

james, 

could you please show a picture of your PTT installing in the PC button hole. Also make and model of the switch and any other info you can share, thats next on my todo list.

J

43 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

james, 

could you please show a picture of your PTT installing in the PC button hole. Also make and model of the switch and any other info you can share, thats next on my todo list.

J

I had misspoken earlier the silver collar unscrews but that is as far as I can go.

This silver collar doesn't complete come off , if it did I could back out the AP switch from the mounting  (Ram horn shaped )

sorry picture are sort of blurry I have to get better picture next time.

Edited by jamesm

On 7/25/2021 at 3:43 AM, jamesm said:

I figured it out the little red button is thread once unthread it the silver collar came off and  the switch dropped out the back.

the picture is crummy.

Thanks

James the pic didn’t show at all…

Great detail on the switch construction!

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/22/2021 at 10:21 PM, Seymour said:

@kpaul, does the right seat have access to the electric trim?   (assuming arm length within 2 standard deviations of the average mooney driver, of course).

My electric trim is only on the pilots yoke.  I don't know if dual trim switches in an option.