Garmin GFC 500 AP for C, D, E Mooneys

Here are the cost figures i received yesterday from my regional shop, assuming you already have 1 G5 AI installed. 

ADD GFC500 2 Axis with no trim

GFC500 Parts:    $8250 (Garmin’s base price for Mooney's is higher than advertised $6999)

Labor:                  $4000

ADD Trim

Trim Kit                $2400

Labor:                  $1000

ADD Interface to IFR GPS/Nav box

GAD29B and the GMU11        $1000

Labor:                                       $1500

ADD 2nd G5, HSI

G5            $3175

Labor:      $1500

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FlySafe said:

Here are the cost figures i received yesterday from my regional shop, assuming you already have 1 G5 AI installed. 

GFC500 Parts:    $8250 (Garmin’s base price for Mooney's is higher than advertised $6999)

ADD Trim

ADD 2nd G5, HSI

G5            $3175

Thank you for posting. I reached out to three local installers here in SoCal. Two said they were waiting for Garmin to update the pricing and one hasn't responded. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FlySafe said:

ADD Trim

ADD 2nd G5, HSI

G5            $3175

Where is this from?  These prices seem decent to me.  

6 hours ago, Pilot boy said:

Where is this from?  These prices seem decent to me.  

Freedom Aviation, Avionics, KLYH, they are a Mooney service center in VA. In my past experiences, Jason has always done a good job at hitting his quotes and I have been very happy with their work. https://www.flyfreedom.com/avionics.html. Mention kurt z gave them a thumbs up.

• Thanks 1

Anyone know if their are any restrictions to where the GMC507 mode controller can be mounted? I have an E that I am redoing the right side panel and I am considering relocating my transponder to the right of the radio stack OR carving out a location for the GMC 507 next to the radio stack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All and Happy Almost New Year,

Hit a snag on scheduling my GFC500 install in a 74, M20C today.  Shop called and said they are not sure my serial number is covered in the STC. They are trying to clarify but SS numbers they gave me were 2742, 2807 and later. Mine is 20-0016. Has anyone else encounter or heard of this issue with C models > 65? 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, FlySafe said:

Hi All and Happy Almost New Year,

Hit a snag on scheduling my GFC500 install in a 74, M20C today.  Shop called and said they are not sure my serial number is covered in the STC. They are trying to clarify but SS numbers they gave me were 2742, 2807 and later. Mine is 20-0016. Has anyone else encounter or heard of this issue with C models > 65? 

Thanks!

That's a bit odd. The STC and the GFC 500 Install Manual Addendum for the Mooney M20C/M20D/M20E/M20F/M20G (1965 & On) is pretty straightforward as far applicability. Your 74 model sure looks like it is covered to me. 

2 minutes ago, JimB said:

That's a bit odd. The STC and the GFC 500 Install Manual Addendum for the Mooney M20C/M20D/M20E/M20F/M20G (1965 & On) is pretty straightforward as far applicability. Your 74 model sure looks like it is covered to me. 

Thanks JB, appreciate your feedback. maybe its just a nice way of declining the job ;)  I was hoping they had just looked at the wrong stc or had some outdated lit from garmin, they did say they were still waiting on exact pricing info, i'll let you know if i hear more from them. 

14 minutes ago, FlySafe said:

more details from the shop

image.png.f51e0d2c60d616d6732f1bc2d403bc8b.png

as @ArtVandelaystated, the format changed. In 1971, they changed from the basic chronological system from counting from 1 to infinity to a dual number system of XX-xxxx where the XX represents the applicable model, and the xxxx represents the exact serial number of that given model.
Example: 20-0016
20 represents M20C
0016 is the 16 M20C produced.

The limitation of the GFC500 is pre 65 models due to (I think it was) the different aileron style, which yours doesn't fall under. I'd maybe even call garmin and let them know about the mistake they have with the serials.

Source: http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

as @ArtVandelaystated, the format changed. In 1971, they changed from the basic chronological system from counting from 1 to infinity to a dual number system of XX-xxxx where the XX represents the applicable model, and the xxxx represents the exact serial number of that given model.
20 represents M20C

The limitation of the GFC500 is pre 65 models due to (I think it was) the different aileron style, which yours doesn't fall under. I'd maybe even call garmin and let them know about the mistake they have with the serials.

John and Art, thank you. I will pass along to shop.

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

20 represents M20C

And i sent Garmin a note on this in case they wish or need to clarify. thanks again for the assistance.

• 6 months later...

Hi All, I could use your advice/pictures on how you installed the GFC500 trim switche on the yoke handle of a C model.  Just got questions and pictures below from my installer. Thanks in advance for your help!

"I was wondering if your Mooney friends have come up with a good way to get the trim switch in the yoke? The old vacuum tubes are molded in place and there is not much room especially for the cygnet switch where the Brittain valve is located. We can maybe get the toggle in there but not sure how to get wires up there."

Resized_20210716_103701.thumb.jpg.257e1e26c1af9b1bdc6a0a91a058fb64.jpgResized_20210716_103710.thumb.jpg.4105ee15b750be77805a494f98931b25.jpg

I replaced my yokes with modern ones so my install won't help. But, I have the old yokes off my plane and I thought there was more room for running a wire up. I can take a look tomorrow and send pics if they are different than what you have. If you are interested I'm sure we can figure something out, they are just collecting dust in my hangar.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I replaced my yokes with modern ones so my install won't help. But, I have the old yokes off my plane and I thought there was more room for running a wire up. I can take a look tomorrow and send pics if they are different than what you have. If you are interested I'm sure we can figure something out, they are just collecting dust in my hangar.

Thanks Richard!  I'll be standing by for update. maybe someone else has figured this out or has some used modern yokes needing rehomed.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:09 AM, Skates97 said:

Thank you for posting. I reached out to three local installers here in SoCal. Two said they were waiting for Garmin to update the pricing and one hasn't responded. 

I got a quote up here in NorCal (around SJC) for about 20 AMU for a 3 axis install. That is taking into consideration there are already two G5’s installed in my aircraft. 2 weeks of labor. 

Edited by dstites

5 minutes ago, dstites said:

I got a quote up here in NorCal (around SJC) for about 20 AMU for a 3 axis install. That is taking into consideration there are already two G5’s installed in my aircraft. 2 weeks of labor. 

A guy at the airport is doing a DIY install. He has been at it for two months now...

1 hour ago, dstites said:

My quote for 3 axis (pitch/roll/trim) was $18,864 and that was also already with G5's in the panel. They originally quoted 2-3 weeks. In the end they came in a little under the quote on the price and took 3 1/2 weeks to complete. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, FlySafe said:

Thanks Richard!  I'll be standing by for update. maybe someone else has figured this out or has some used modern yokes needing rehomed.

Looks like my memory wasn't very good, mine aren't any different than yours.

20210717_153425.thumb.jpg.e7932f281769a1be61fbb63562da5a52.jpg

So now that pre 65’s are approved just told our local shop to order the GFC 500 for my ‘62 C. At this point just pitch and roll servos, head and mounting hardware. Not planning a yaw damper or trim servo. Trying to determine if the take off go around option is worth doing. What else should I consider?  

5 minutes ago, Buckeyechuck said:

So now that pre 65’s are approved just told our local shop to order the GFC 500 for my ‘62 C. At this point just pitch and roll servos, head and mounting hardware. Not planning a yaw damper or trim servo. Trying to determine if the take off go around option is worth doing. What else should I consider?  

I would do the electric trim.  I love the YD on my F, ymmv. 

TO/GA is great if you fly a lot of near minimum instrument approaches.

I have every option installed because it was the certification aircraft for D/Fs.  I would give up any of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kpaul said:

I would do the electric trim.  I love the YD on my F, ymmv. 

TO/GA is great if you fly a lot of near minimum instrument approaches.

I have every option installed because it was the certification aircraft for D/Fs.  I would give up any of them.

KP,

I think Siri altered your spelling… would wouldn’t…

-a-

1 hour ago, Buckeyechuck said:

As @kpaul said definitely get the trim. I don't think you need the YD in a short body but letting it level off and trim itself instead of having it tell you to adjust trim is worth it. I also think the TOGO is worth it even if you are just taking off VFR, take off, hit the button, and you have a nice visual reference.