Garmin GFC 500 AP for C, D, E Mooneys

6 hours ago, kpaul said:

Enroute to New Century as we speak.  Sitting in Denver with a layover.  I pick up the plane tomorrow morning. According to Garmin the certification paperwork was completed on the 16th.

More to follow!

Awesome!!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Well...

Well?!!!

Inquiring minds need to know: how did it go?...

Man, I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to this for my C, and I have an STEC 60-2...:wacko:

I started a thread for the F/G here 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stanton R said:

It looks like that the C,D,E Installation kits are approved. The installation supplement for the F,G also has the 65 and up C,D,Es. My guess they are just getting the computer setup tested and approved.

I would be shocked if the C,D,E is ready.  The certification aircraft just flew for the first time last week.  I'm sure the PMA for the kit is not complete as the FAA has not certified the installation. 

The F,G are certified by the FAA.

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

I would be shocked if the C,D,E is ready.  The certification aircraft just flew for the first time last week.  I'm sure the PMA for the kit is not complete as the FAA has not certified the installation. 

The F,G are certified by the FAA.

This is the wording on the installation manual "GFC 500 INSTALL MANUAL ADDENDUM, MOONEY M20 C/D/E/F/G (1965 & ON)"

SO THE 64 AND EARLIER ARE DEAD ISSUES

When were the ailerons  changed in shape to the flat bottom as opposed to the airfoil undercamber shape?   65?

The undercamber shape had higher breakaway forces and quite possibly is the reason that earlier models aren't  approved

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

When were the ailerons  changed in shape to the flat bottom as opposed to the airfoil undercamber shape?   65?

The undercamber shape had higher breakaway forces and quite possibly is the reason that earlier models aren't  approved

They are working on getting pre 65 Mooneys added. Apparently the aileron bell crank are different on pre 65. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

Garmin was looking at two pre 65 candidates last week when I was at their hangar.  Once the one that meets their requirements has been identified and all the paperwork drafted up they will be certifying the pre 65s.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:38 AM, brndiar said:

Wrote to Garmin, didnt get response.

Does have someone Info, when will be Certifikation for C Modell finished?

One more Question - PFD 2xG5 vs. Aspen Evolution 1000 -what is your oppinion (pros/contras)?

Thanks,

LG,

milos

Go G3X--pay once and go awesome.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cliffy said:

So out the door flyable what's the cost estimate? 80% of hull value or 200% ?

Without the G5 and just a plain 2 servo autopilot can probably be installed for give or take 14k. Mine with 4 servos was 18.3

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

None. A G3X, G5, or GI275 is required.

This is the reason I put the G5's in. 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

So it's 14+ for the AP that we want, and another 8-10 for the G5 that we don't want? No thanks!

Not sure what the install price is because I did the work myself but that sounds a little high for one G5? 

9 minutes ago, cliffy said:

SO its a boat anchor without another 10K investment

We're at 80-90% hull value now for most early short bodies. 

Not a wise investment for such an old airplane IMO

Airplanes arent a wise investment in the first place. If you want an autopilot, thats about the cgeapest option you have. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Airplanes arent a wise investment in the first place. If you want an autopilot, thats about the cgeapest option you have. 

Only because BK is stifling the Tru Trak. Guess they don't like competition, or innovation that they didn't develop. 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, cliffy said:

I know, I know, I hear the term: "investment" a lot, and I understand your argument, but I have to wonder exactly how many of us are doing this as an "investment?" If you want to make an investment, put your money elsewhere and you'll get a better return. Generally speaking, there aren't many of us in GA making money owning airplanes.

My 2c: If the plane is worth it to you, do it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, vorlon1 said:

I know, I know, I hear the term: "investment" a lot, and I understand your argument, but I have to wonder exactly how many of us are doing this as an "investment?" If you want to make an investment, put your money elsewhere and you'll get a better return. Generally speaking, there aren't many of us in GA making money owning airplanes.

My 2c: If the plane is worth it to you, do it.

I know there are many folks that know they are buying a plane to use for a period of time and then re-sell. In those cases I don't think I would be putting any money into it that isn't required to keep it flying.

However, I bought our plane without any intention of re-selling so I subscribe to your "2 cents" principle and it is the way I spend money on our plane. Nothing I have done has been to increase the re-sale value, it is all because it either increases the safety of it or my enjoyment of it.

• Like 5

On 10/30/2020 at 8:35 PM, cliffy said:

It’s the same fallacy of thinking of your home as an investment. An investment is something that is always for sale at the right price without any personal attachment. 

-Robert 

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

It’s the same fallacy of thinking of your home as an investment. An investment is something that is always for sale at the right price without any personal attachment. 

-Robert 

Hmmm . . . I've always thought that an investment is something that is intended to be sold at a higher price than it was purchased. So far, I've invested in, lived in and sold three houses and one condo, with little emotional attachment to anything but the listing price. The condo brought the highest percentage return, and a higher net return than the three himes combined, despite having the lowest purchase price (less than half of houses #2 &#3).

Some people view their airplanes as an investment (see Dr. Ken's epistles on buying and selling his many, many planes). Some people like fixing them up and making them nice. Some people just fly the snot out of what they have. All three approaches are equally valid, and all three work.

• Like 1