Garmin GFC 500 AP for C, D, E Mooneys

I just finished a Garmin webinar.  One of the slides said that the C, D, And E models are currently in certification process.  The website contradicts this by saying they won’t begin for the next 12 months, that only the F, and G are currently in the certification process.  I asked the speaker.  She said that the website is way behind and has not been updated.  The pre J Mooneys currently in certification process are C, D, E, F, G.  That was great news.  I though they were still 12 months away from even starting but turns out they are currently in certification process!!!

• Like 2

Now we get to wait a few years for this one like we are with the Trutrak.

I would strongly suggest that you make no plans or purchase decisions based on this.  Trutrak has claimed to be in the certification process for two years.

Edited by MBDiagMan

They did list 2 years ago they will work in the next twelve months.
Now on the good note, Garmin finally updated their page in March, and another one on June 14th. Scroll the page down and you will see the update list dates. They maybe realize it’s good marketing to keep customers informed on their progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, jpindy said:

GFC500 is about $10,000 for the hardware and 3 to $4000 for the install.
Hardware includes GFC500, 2 brushless servos, and 1 G5

If you can get one installed for $20,000 I think you are doing very well.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Now we get to wait a few years for this one like we are with the Trutrak.

I would strongly suggest that you make no plans or purchase decisions based on this.  Trutrak has claimed to be in the certification process for two years.

Unlike Trutrak, garmin has been hitting out models one by one at a pretty reasonable rate. They usually take 4 to 6 months to knock the STC out of the way, and the way they did the first (M, R, S) and the second (J, K) group would make me believe that this will not be a multiyear ordeal. Garmin stated from the beginning that they will do the model when they are ready. now they are ready and I'd say it will be ready in less than 4 months.

• Like 3

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

If you can get one installed for $20,000 I think you are doing very well.

mine was under 18k with yaw damper and pitch trim. If you do it without the YD and the PT, knock off another 4 to 5k. You still need a G5 however.

• Like 2

During the Aspen webinar it sounds like they (aspen) will be pursuing integration with the gfc/g5 in the future. Probably a long shot but it would be nice if the g5 and aspen could get along in the heading/gpss handling department. 

Edited by MIm20c
  • Like 1

With the reality that the GFC500 is so popular that would be a smart choice. For the amount you're paying, it really is the best option by a landslide in my opinion. An Stec3100 alone installed sets you back +30k, and doesnt perform as well as the gfc500.

The speaker in the webinar says, for the models in certification process now, should be done by the end of the third quarter of this year.

I am not holding my breath or even getting in line right now.  If it goes much the way these certification processes go then it may still be a while.  I am just passing along information passed along to me.

2 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

I am not holding my breath or even getting in line right now.  If it goes much the way these certification processes go then it may still be a while.  I am just passing along information passed along to me.

For the J and K model, it took them 6 months on the dot to finish. Look at the post history of @81X. Certification process started on 24th of September and finished on the 27th of March. If they've already been working on the short bodies, I wouldn't be surprised if they finished before the end of the year.

2 hours ago, jpindy said:

Thanks!  As I recall it requires at least one G5 also.

3 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

I just finished a Garmin webinar.  One of the slides said that the C, D, And E models are currently in certification process.  The website contradicts this by saying they won’t begin for the next 12 months, that only the F, and G are currently in the certification process.  I asked the speaker.  She said that the website is way behind and has not been updated.  The pre J Mooneys currently in certification process are C, D, E, F, G.  That was great news.  I though they were still 12 months away from even starting but turns out they are currently in certification process!!!

The speaker is correct.  The F/G certification started in February. Garmin averages right at 6 months from recieving an aircraft to certification. If it goes beyond 6 months, it will require a contract renegotiation with the owner.  Just so happens I hold that contract for the F/G.

The E model rolled into certification a couple of weeks ago. There is a thread about it somewhere around here.  So the short bodies should be complete in November.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MIm20c said:

During the Aspen webinar it sounds like they (aspen) will be pursuing integration with the gfc/g5 in the future. Probably a long shot but it would be nice if the g5 and aspen could get along in the heading/gpss handling department. 

Wow, that would be great. 

22 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:She said that the website is way behind and has not been updated.  The pre J Mooneys currently in certification process are C, D, E, F, G.  That was great news.  I though they were still 12 months away from even starting but turns out they are currently in certification process!!!

I call BS on that. I get updates roughly 5-8x each month that there was an update to the models. Sometimes it’s just rearranging them. But someone is changing them on a regular basis. So if they are behind. It’s surprising. 

It could be that not all information is passed on to the website crew. 

So we are at half the value of the average short body and we realize how much back when it sells? 50% of the install price? 

Then we have maybe $1,000/yr cost if we sell in 10 years or $2,000/yr if we sell in 5 going for the A/P, down the hole. 

A/Ps are expensive for the initial buy in and the continuing depreciation.  Kind of like buying a new RV and you lose 30% going out the driveway of the dealer. 

So we are at half the value of the average short body and we realize how much back when it sells? 50% of the install price? 

Then we have maybe $1,000/yr cost if we sell in 10 years or $2,000/yr if we sell in 5 going for the A/P, down the hole. 

A/Ps are expensive for the initial buy in and the continuing depreciation.  Kind of like buying a new RV and you lose 30% going out the driveway of the dealer. 

There is no way you can justify an airplane or upgrades based on costs.

If it’s a forever plane, the only question is do you have the cash and do you want it.

I agree if it’s a short term ownership, I would not do it.

• Like 5

On 6/18/2020 at 5:52 PM, jpindy said:

If I could put in a GFC500 with all that equipment including the G5 for $14K installed I would drop it off at the installers hangar tomorrow.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:52 PM, jpindy said:

Please share contact info for your shop. I will list you as a reference in case they pay referral fees. You should get several from here!