Installing aux power in rear and baggage compartment light

3 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

If I wanted to install a USB plug or two in the rear for rear seat passengers as well as a powered baggage compartment light with it’s own dedicated switch directly to the battery do you think I’d need a field approval for this or just a liberal A&P?

Mine was done as a minor mod, no 337.

Not a modern Mooney owner, but we had a cigarette lighter socket installed in the rear wall of the baggage area.  That was a minor mod...log book entry.  We plug our battery maintainer in there, when in the hangar, and in flight we can plug a dual USB charger in there to provide power to my daughter's tablet...and we also had a cable plugged in to charge the Garmin GDL 50 in flight.  This socket is hot all the time and is fused.  While we've not needed a light back there, there are some cool map lights that could plug in there to light the space...but I've never thought of that need, since I seem to always be holding a flashlight in my teeth.  :D

The back wall next to the battery is an easy spot to add things like sockets and switches...

I just rotated Matt’s pic that had a toggle switch mounted there...

Discuss details with your mechanic...

proper wire, routing, Circuit breaker/fuse, or copy something from somebody else...

Back in the day, a lot of ADSB-in devices got put in the hat rack... and got power locally...

Best regards,

-a-