Wing Ding - Would your shop pass it?

8 hours ago, cliffy said:

We had a guy here a couple of years ago who had a few small dents in his airplane and the Feds did a ramp check and grounded his airplane.

You can't always determine what's a serious deficiency based on an FAA ramp inspection.

Back in the early 90s the FAA walked by my 64E while it was outdoors, noticed some grease on the inside of my prop near the root, and grounded my airplane.  In reality, it had just come out of annual and the shop might have over greased the hub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Ellis said:

@glafaille I see you are located in Tyler, Texas.  That is just a stone's throw from Longview where an excellent Mooney mechanic hangs out.  I would definitely send this to Don Maxwell in Longview and get his opinion on this.  He does not visit this forum so he won't see your post but he could offer some insight into this as well.  If the plane is located in Texas, there is a slight chance that he may have worked on it at one time or another.  Although you have received some excellent advice from this forum as usual. :D

I believe the Maxwell’s do visit MS........pmaxwell, if I’m not mistaken.  Jan Maxwell has also visited from time to time.

8 hours ago, Pasturepilot said:

Anyone ever try a paintless dent remover kit from Amazon? I doubt it'd remove the dent altogether but might minimize the need for filler.

You need good access to the back of the dent with most paintless repairs, and given how aluminum fatigues and work hardens, it might make the structural integrity worse.  This is just me speculating as I have no experience trying such things on an airplane.   It seems like the usual body fill method might have merit here, though.

One item no one has thought to mention is that WHERE the dent is would affect the airflow over the stall strip and quite possibly affect the stall characteristics. 

Considering just what I can see in the picture supplied (and the care and maintenance that the owner seems to have neglected) the airplane will be a money pit with AMU alligators around every corner. 

I may be in the minority but  -RUN don't walk to the nearest exit!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geoffb said:

I wouldn't fly in that wreck

;)

Don’t worry.  It will buff out!

I read about repairing similar dents on much more expensive airplanes.  One technique involved a large ball bearing on the inside and a very strong electro-magnet on the outside.  Sounds quite interesting.

This particular airplane has been actively flown for years (75 hrs/ yr) and appears from the log books to have received better than average maintenance.  Certainly not a “forever plane”.  But for someone looking for cheap transportation, who knows?

• Like 1