Wing Ding - Would your shop pass it?

Came across a plane for sale, obviously a “value” opportunity, not a “forever plane”.  Before traveling to see it, the owner, to his credit, disclosed a ding picture.  Said his IA has been signing off on it.  Normally I would peek into the maintenance manual for guidance, but I don’t have access to one.  What do you guys think?  The flap can be easily replaced, it’s the wing that bothers me but then again, maybe I’m over reacting and it’s not critical.

24D453A8-2CC2-47BD-94C9-93C982772956.jpeg

I know there is a mirror image for that one.... :)

If you go off the end of the runway on the centerline....

There are two lights right about that high.... they are a set of REILs.  The wing gets taller as you go out towards the end...

So... there is a dent there... but, it is far enough back from the leading edge it is not anywhere near the critical split zone...

Get a good look at it to see if the new shape altered the leading edge at all...  (this would be more serious)

Open the nearby panels to see if you can flatten it out... put it back close to the original shape...  (This would erase all the seriousness)

Go to the other wing and see how bad the mirror image is...

The frangible lights are frangible, but they weigh enough to leave a small dent like that... the light probably broke and fell over...

Now... take a look at the flap... it looks like the wing took the initial hit... but the flap looks like it may have finished the job....

PP guesses only, no personal experience with sheet metal forming... but I’ve seen a few pairs of frangible lights lying around... over the years. :)

Since were looking at what can be done better.... is that a Zerk missing from the MLG?

I put some arrows on the pic... for discussion points...

Best regards,

-a-

1) highest arrow... Check the leading edge for straightness... or dent affects...

2) next arrow points at the big dent...

3) next arrow down points at the mark on the flap... see if the flap got damaged... What is that mark?

4) Bonus... is that a missing grease zerk?

6809EBBE-7772-4792-9DE2-DDD5350166CA.jpeg

• Like 2

Hah mine has similar dents from someone hitting something without reporting it. It could have been like that for 10 years 20, 40, or even 50 years. None of the IA’s really made a big deal out of it. IIRC Mooney doesn’t have an allowable damage specification for these.

Odd that the gear door looks pristine.

In my opinion, that is a wing skin waiting to be replaced.  Sooner or later, the A&P (and/or IA) is going to say, “no.”

There are places in TX that do that sort of work.  Good sheet metal craftsmen produce artwork.  Choose carefully.

tom

Just now, 47U said:

In my opinion, that is a wing skin waiting to be replaced.  Sooner or later, the A&P (and/or IA) is going to say, “no.”

There are places in TX that do that sort of work.  Good sheet metal craftsmen produce artwork.  Choose carefully.

tom

Gear door might have been destroyed and replaced?

I know there is a mirror image for that one.... 
If you go off the end of the runway on the centerline....

There are two lights right about that high.... they are a set of REILs.  The wing gets taller as you go out towards the end...

So... there is a dent there... but, it is far enough back from the leading edge it is not anywhere near the critical split zone...
Get a good look at it to see if the new shape altered the leading edge at all...  (this would be more serious)
Open the nearby panels to see if you can flatten it out... put it back close to the original shape...  (This would erase all the seriousness)

Go to the other wing and see how bad the mirror image is...
The frangible lights are frangible, but they weigh enough to leave a small dent like that... the light probably broke and fell over...
Now... take a look at the flap... it looks like the wing took the initial hit... but the flap looks like it may have finished the job....
PP guesses only, no personal experience with sheet metal forming... but I’ve seen a few pairs of frangible lights lying around... over the years. 

Since were looking at what can be done better.... is that a Zerk missing from the MLG?
I put some arrows on the pic... for discussion points...
Best regards,
-a-

1) highest arrow... Check the leading edge for straightness... or dent affects...
2) next arrow points at the big dent...
3) next arrow down points at the mark on the flap... see if the flap got damaged... What is that mark?
4) Bonus... is that a missing grease zerk?

6809EBBE-7772-4792-9DE2-DDD5350166CA.jpeg.98a55a4666206194320a45bfdb65dd69.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom

Some body filler and a paint job would fix it, no need to replace skin.
  • Like 1

If there are no cracks in the skin and no damage to adjacent stringers, ribs or spars, it’s a minor dent.  With no access the to back to try work it out, fill it with “aerodynamic filler” paint it and fly on.

I would sign it out.

Clarence

We had a guy here a couple of years ago who had a few small dents in his airplane and the Feds did a ramp check and grounded his airplane. I believe he wound up scraping it.  As mentioned above, there's a lot more going on here than just that dent.

Be careful- be VERY careful! Lots of red flags here for me. 

How did the dent get there? Why the "new" gear door? Why the condition of the paint? (total neglect?) 

What I see goes a lot deeper than the surface.

Edited by cliffy
  • Like 1

@glafaille I see you are located in Tyler, Texas.  That is just a stone's throw from Longview where an excellent Mooney mechanic hangs out.  I would definitely send this to Don Maxwell in Longview and get his opinion on this.  He does not visit this forum so he won't see your post but he could offer some insight into this as well.  If the plane is located in Texas, there is a slight chance that he may have worked on it at one time or another.  Although you have received some excellent advice from this forum as usual. :D

• Like 1