Flotation Devices

Hi gang,

Getting ready to spend on life jackets for my wife and I.

I know the topic has come up before, but my google-fu has deserted me. My recollection is that several people recommended "Mustang" brand (https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Survival-M-I-T-Activation-Fluorescent/dp/B007I95ZJM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526096544&sr=8-4&keywords=mustang%2Blife%2Bjacket&th=1 ). Do i remember correctly? Other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Bringing @Hyett6420 into the conversation. He is going to tell you to get the Spinlock Deckvest 5D.

The best price we could find was from a marine supply place called The Binnacle. They have a regular website, but purchasing them through their E-Bay store got us free shipping. I know people sometimes are nervous about E-Bay stuff, but they arrived quickly and were brand new in the packaging as advertised.

https://us.binnacle.com/p8633/Spinlock-Deckvest-5D-Pro-Sensor-Inflatable-PFD/product_info.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173884292510

Edit: Oh, and you don't need the conversion kit thing to change it from auto to manual inflation only. It's very simple, Andrew walked me through it on a video call.

Edited by Skates97
  • Like 3

That unit is a very good one. Don't know how far off shore you are going but I highly recommend an PLB to attach to your vest. Hypothermia sets in fast even in "warm waters" and a beacon gets help pronto. You can drift far and fast in the Sound. My buddies in the Coast Guard swear by them.

39 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

That unit is a very good one. Don't know how far off shore you are going but I highly recommend an PLB to attach to your vest. Hypothermia sets in fast even in "warm waters" and a beacon gets help pronto. You can drift far and fast in the Sound. My buddies in the Coast Guard swear by them.

I have one of these PLB's in the plane. It is on a lanyard and is either hanging from the pilot yoke or around my neck. When I get in the plane I put it on and before I get out I hang it back on the yoke. Regardless of where I'm flying I have it on me. I figure it doesn't get in the way, and even if I'm not "out in the boonies" I want to make sure that someone can always find me. The last thing I need is to lay there, injured, and my cell phone can't get reception to call for help.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/rescueme13-15036.php?clickkey=4066

Whatever you get, make sure it has crotch straps and a spray hood. I always thought of the benefit of the spray hood was just for the regular waves. I had not considered the benefit of it to help with all the water going in your face from a helo overhead until some conversations with Andrew.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bradp said:

@Skates97 what overwater adventures have  you conjured up?  Sounds fun.  

The most common flight I make is just along the Southern California coast for fun. Before talking with Andrew at the Mooney Summit last year I did it all the time with no life jacket. After our conversation I did not do it again until I had the life jackets. I've started taking those relaxing flights along the coast again now that I have the life jackets. They are comfortable to wear, and often the best option for putting the plane down along the coast is in the water. I also wear my PLB around my neck on a lanyard every flight, even if it is just 20 miles to a neighboring airport.

I still want to get out to Catalina, it's only a short hop from KFUL. My hangar neighbor goes there probably 2-3 times a month. I hadn't gone because the runway used to be terrible. They repaired it and by the time I got my life jackets they closed the airport down because of the Coronavirus. They recently opened it back up so that is on my list again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I still want to get out to Catalina, it's only a short hop from KFUL. My hangar neighbor goes there probably 2-3 times a month. I hadn't gone because the runway used to be terrible. They repaired it and by the time I got my life jackets they closed the airport down because of the Coronavirus. They recently opened it back up so that is on my list again.

They just opened the restaurant last Wednesday the 17th. I have yet to return since they shut down for the pandemic as well. But the fee has gone up to $35! Buit as a unique nearby get away its quite fun place to visit in summer.

Personally IMO its just as hazardous as it always was with the hump in the middle that has contributed to so many accidents from pilots landing long or not not getting airborne by the hump. Just after re-opening one of our Club Bonanza's went off the end totaling it, but its first such accident that didn't have injuries!  (The prior common 1/4" potholes that kept so many people away never concerned me, but my Mooney is no stranger to dirt fields either. )

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2

Great insight, Andrew...

“you will also need water, remember you need 2 litres a day ( @carusoam please translate).“

For the metrically impaired...  

• litres in the Uk, are similar to liters in the US...
  • which are much like, or close enough, to a US quart...
  • So expect that you need two US quarts per day per person...
  • Which conveniently works out to be about two liters each day...
  • Picture a standard 2 liter soda bottle (a nice US standard) for everyone for each day...

• established aviation gentlemen probably choose Evian or Perrier... :)

Thanks again, Andrew!
The added firsthand experience will make a difference for somebody...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great insight, Andrew...

“you will also need water, remember you need 2 litres a day ( @carusoam please translate).“

For the metrically impaired...  

• litres in the Uk, are similar to liters in the US...
  • which are much like, or close enough, to a US quart...
  • So expect that you need two US quarts per day per person...
  • Which conveniently works out to be about two liters each day...
  • Picture a standard 2 liter soda bottle (a nice US standard) for everyone for each day...

• established aviation gentlemen probably choose Evian or Perrier... :)

Thanks again, Andrew!
The added firsthand experience will make a difference for somebody...

Best regards,

-a-

You could have done even more conversion to help us out.  2 quarts is 1/2 gallon, like a carton of milk.  But for the lushes in us, just a little more than a 1.75L bottle of cheap booze, or 2 and 2/3rds bottles of wine.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

So in addition to the above, I looked at this device that @Robert C. has spec'd.  It is a Personal flotation device (PFD) NOT a lifejacket.  If you are boating on a calm river then yes this would be fine, but to save your life over water NO definitely not.  It has not crotch straps either.  So NO to this one.  

The reason they are called lifejackets is that they will save your life!  

Andrew,

Thanks! I enjoyed the presentation you gave at the Mooney Summit a few years ago, and apologize for making you repeat it here in writing :) My shopping list is clear now.

Robert

• Like 1