LASAR 201 Windshield

I have a 1974 Mooney C and I am considering installing the 201 windshield.  My only concern is access to avionic panel.  How is access provided with the new windshield and how hard is it to install new avionics or troubleshoot an issue with existing avionics?  Thanks.

either SWTA or LASAR I'm not sure which offers small access panels in the corners.  I have the small access panels and it is nice but not as nice as the original access panels.  If the one with the small access panels is not available.I would do some rear panel work and clean up when you do the windshield keeping in mind the limited access.

You should use the LASAR (OEM) style given the potential for access panel to leak water.  

You also should do the 201 windshield when you upgrade the instrument panel and design the avionics to be accessible as much as possible through the panel (instruments slide out the the panel toward you).

John Breda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheryLoewen said:

The LASAR  201 windshield mod has good access over an under, as much of the extra metal is removed. SWTA puts the windshield  right over the existing structure and needs the little access openings.

Paul L. -------Loewen's Mooney Salvage

So you can get behind the panel from under the glare shield?

13 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The SWTA “201” windshield is the one with the small avionics access panels built into the corners.

This is what my E has and those panels are pretty much a joke, as is access to anything behind the panel. You also have to seal the access panels each time you remove them.

That said, it just adds a bit of work to anything done in that area, but the speed and appearance benefits are worth it (IMO).

• Like 1

The fancy access panels are really nice...

None of the newer planes got them...

It is really crowded behind the panel....

For a few things... you might get lucky... accessing from the top, or the bottom...

But there isn’t a good way to get everyday access....

Even my C with the access panels, got sealed up... and only got unsealed at annual...

No easy answer... so get what makes the most sense....

It’s really nice to see Paul L stop in!   (Soooo much Mooney knowledge all in one person)

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Best access I’ve seen so far is a friend who installed a flush mount iPad dock into his panel. 
When he does work on the panel, he removes the dock and has fabulous access 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

So you can get behind the panel from under the glare shield?

Yes. But it’s not like you’re sitting there staring at the back of your instrument panel.

My F has the lasar mod.  I can remove the single piece dash covering, worm it out between the windscreen and the center steel tube and then I can reach down behind the instruments with an arm.  You cannot however stick your head back there to see because the space is close to where the windscreen meets the cowl and it’s too tight.  Best vis is from a stepladder in front of the wing looking in/down through the front windscreen.

you can also remove a seat and lie down on your back on the floor with your head near the rudder pedals looking up.

I have not found either of these techniques to be comfortable or easy, but I did manage to replace a circuit breaker and the Remote annunciation light/wire for my EDM930.  It isn’t hard to shove a borescope in there from top or bottom either.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last year we did the laser mod and panel upgrade at same time . We are thrilled with all the mods . The 201 windshield looks great lowers noise on the flight deck and they say it adds some speed. If it goes any faster the paint will come off.:lol:. We are very happy with  M20C with the laser mods !!!20200326_1500201.thumb.jpg.6e1db79a71401c7f5f80d48ca490e019.jpg

• Like 4

Here is when I did the 201 windshield mod.  

The glareshield part of the cowl deck can be cut back to improve avionics access.  The fiberglass dash panel goes over it anyway.   

One thing I wish I did when installing was putting some sound dampening sticky panels on the underside of the new cowl deck.  

I wonder how much you would notice the difference in noise as we are all wearing the latest in active noise cancellation.  Also, our C with original windshield and avionics access panels had to spend some time in the elements while we were in search of a hangar and with a proper cover never had an issue with water entering the cabin or behind the panel.  If you ask your AP IA or avionics mech I'm sure they would prefer the access panels I know mine do.  They do look faster and that is subjective of course but may actually give you a few more knots.  People always complain rightly or wrongly that Mooneys are tight to work on does it really make sense to take away the one place that access is actually very good to an area that houses equipment that can be considered high maintenance items.

1 hour ago, jamesm said:

so it true that the 201 windshield mod is quieter than the stock mod? or is there a slightly different sound than oem windshield ?

I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be. More aerodynamic and one continuous seam as opposed to a centered astragal.

15 hours ago, jamesm said:

so is it true that the 201 windshield mod is quieter than the stock mod? or is there a slightly different sound than oem windshield ?

Thanks,

James '67C

I can’t tell the difference.   A good door seal makes the biggest difference IMO

14 hours ago, bonal said:

I wonder how much you would notice the difference in noise as we are all wearing the latest in active noise cancellation.  Also, our C with original windshield and avionics access panels had to spend some time in the elements while we were in search of a hangar and with a proper cover never had an issue with water entering the cabin or behind the panel.  If you ask your AP IA or avionics mech I'm sure they would prefer the access panels I know mine do.  They do look faster and that is subjective of course but may actually give you a few more knots.  People always complain rightly or wrongly that Mooneys are tight to work on does it really make sense to take away the one place that access is actually very good to an area that houses equipment that can be considered high maintenance items.

The biggest improvement I noticed was no more eye fry ( I got the UV blocking option; well worth it)..    maybe a couple of knots...  no noticeable difference in sound, but might have been because of my door seal.   Inside does feel more comfortable, less packed in feeling.  Easier to maintain good visibility in rain, as the water doesn’t pool up and just sit on the windshield.  It beads off.  Visibility overall is better. 

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 12:46 AM, mark21m20c said:

Last year we did the laser mod and panel upgrade at same time . We are thrilled with all the mods . The 201 windshield looks great lowers noise on the flight deck and they say it adds some speed. If it goes any faster the paint will come off.:lol:. We are very happy with  M20C with the laser mods !!!20200326_1500201.thumb.jpg.6e1db79a71401c7f5f80d48ca490e019.jpg

Nice looking aircraft!!

17 minutes ago, GMBrown said:

I am also considering the 201 windshield on my 64 M20C.  Can anyone tell me the current price of the windshield and install cost?  

G

by the time you pay for shipping, it's $3200.    My invoice shows $3160.88

The kit includes PRC for sealing the skins and windshield, rivets and everything.  Everything you need, except tools.  I was pleasantly surprised to see it was very complete.

However, I strongly recommend buying some nut plates for attaching the windshield to the cowl deck instead of using the nuts and bolts.

• Like 1