Landing fees proposed for KTOA (Torrance Airport, CA)

We all need to get together and stop this. It might be your airport next. Please send out a letter to these folks.

Regards,
---

Tomorrow night (i.e. 6/16), a proposal to implement landing fees at the Torrance airport will come before the Council for consideration. This was not part of the original staff proposed budget revision and was added last Tuesday by one Councilmember as part of an attempt to close the City’s COVID-related budget shortage.
While the details are still lacking, it appears there would be an approximately $12-15 landing fee imposed upon fixed wing aircraft only, for both aircraft stationed at KTOA and transient aircraft.
If you would like to voice your opinion on this prior to the Council meeting Tuesday evening, you may contact the Torrance City Council using the following email addresses. Alternatively, you may also call in to speak under item 9am of the 7pm meeting at 310-618-2404.
PFurey@TorranceCA.Gov
HAshcraft@TorranceCA.Gov
GChen@TorranceCA.gov
TGoodrich@TorranceCA.Gov
MGriffiths@TorranceCA.Gov
SKalani@TorranceCA.Gov
AMattucci@TorranceCA.Gov
Councilmeetingpubliccomment@torranceca.gov
Sincerely,

Torrance Councilmember Tim Goodrich

First, they run off a number of long time Aviation businesses from the field in order to make room for the Robinson Helicopter factory. Now they want Landing Fees for just “fixed wing” aircraft. Maybe the next step will be to rename the airport Robinson Airport, make it a private Airport and declare victory?

Torrance was one of the most active GA airports in the country at one time. Glad I got to be a part of it then. Sure wouldn’t want to see it now with the direction it is heading.

You might consider suggesting to the Council members toll booths on Hawthorne Blvd, Crenshaw Blvd and Pacific Coast Highway to increase their revenues in a more fair and less discriminatory manner...

Santa Monica........no aircraft are exempt from landing fees.

Regarding AOPA assistance ...... in days gone by......Bill Dunn (affectionately nicknamed Bulldog) was an incredible asset for defending ga airport issues.  Meigs was his personal greatest loss he’d stated.

My opinion....... next in line for Bill would be Santa Monica...... no one gave more effort than Bill (hence the handle, Bulldog).

Bill immediately jumped on Oceano with us........ success......L52 is alive and well.......(SOCAL flight school operator has purchased one of the very few quality large hangars at L52, and purchasing a home nearby as well.....hmmmm...... could this be a positive kick in the butt for our little slice of paradise beach front gem of an airport?.... speculation only).

Sorry to drift off of Torrence.......Regardless, it’s my opinion.... the current state of AOPA airport advocacy program  would not be affective with the landing fee issue at Torrance.......I don’t hear or read much, or anything for that matter these days of AOPA advocacy program (is there one?).  Please, I’d be more than delighted to be proven wrong!!

My opinion...... California Pilots Association....... even much less so........again, I’d adore being proved wrong!  My past association with this organization proved that there were a couple of seriously passionate doers, mostly not unfortunately..... I suspect currently the same, or less ( prove me wrong again).

Step up folks!!!!!

On 6/15/2020 at 9:55 PM, JBear said:

We all need to get together and stop this. It might be your airport next. Please send out a letter to these folks.

Regards,
---

Tomorrow night (i.e. 6/16), a proposal to implement landing fees at the Torrance airport will come before the Council for consideration. This was not part of the original staff proposed budget revision and was added last Tuesday by one Councilmember as part of an attempt to close the City’s COVID-related budget shortage.
While the details are still lacking, it appears there would be an approximately $12-15 landing fee imposed upon fixed wing aircraft only, for both aircraft stationed at KTOA and transient aircraft.
If you would like to voice your opinion on this prior to the Council meeting Tuesday evening, you may contact the Torrance City Council using the following email addresses. Alternatively, you may also call in to speak under item 9am of the 7pm meeting at 310-618-2404.
PFurey@TorranceCA.Gov
HAshcraft@TorranceCA.Gov
GChen@TorranceCA.gov
TGoodrich@TorranceCA.Gov
MGriffiths@TorranceCA.Gov
SKalani@TorranceCA.Gov
AMattucci@TorranceCA.Gov
Councilmeetingpubliccomment@torranceca.gov
Sincerely,

Torrance Councilmember Tim Goodrich

and?...........................

1 hour ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

This is so inefficient and obnoxious.  Just handle it with fuel taxes/flowage fees if you need.  Or just cut your spending.

Cut spending................what a novel idea [yeah, right].  As with our little local admin. folks, rather than do that, they'd rather raise hangar rates in this time of financial hardships for so many. 

Assuming this airport has received federal grant funds, the city is required to comply with the FAA assurances that are tied to those funds.    I would start by look at the  FAA Airport Compliance Manual, Order 5190.6b Chapter 15, Permitted and Prohibited Uses of Airport Revenue.  Basically says airport revenue has to go back to airport ops or to payoff debt.  Unless the city is trying pay for COVID costs related to the airport, I don't think the Feds will allow it.   

31 minutes ago, DMM said:

Assuming this airport has received federal grant funds, the city is required to comply with the FAA assurances that are tied to those funds.    I would start by look at the  FAA Airport Compliance Manual, Order 5190.6b Chapter 15, Permitted and Prohibited Uses of Airport Revenue.  Basically says airport revenue has to go back to airport ops or to payoff debt.  Unless the city is trying pay for COVID costs related to the airport, I don't think the Feds will allow it.   

In order for the Feds to disallow, an effective airport advocacy organization has to enlighten the Feds of the possible infraction.  Otherwise, forge ahead from City,  unmonitored.

An airport ASN can certainly start the process, but strong follow through by parent organization (AOPA) is imperative.

• Like 1

We're working on it. Interestingly, at TOA this has nothing to do with making the airport self-sustaining (a common argument); TOA generates a net profit of about $10M/year, which goes back to the City's general fund. (Yes, they can do that, at least as it appears right now; there are no grant assurance obligations in place, etc).

9 hours ago, chrixxer said:

It hasn't, at least not under the AIP, and nothing within the last 20 years.

Irrelevant to the landing fee issue, the lack of federal grant funding alone raises a question, if not a red flag!

Why not at TOA?  It’s difficult to imagine that any public use airport would not utilize the federal grant available funds for improvement!

Is it possible the fox is,  and has been running the hen house?  Can you say Santa Monica?  There’s more to this story I suspect.