This Is Interesting

If "interesting" means "tragic." I agree.

As a military aviator, I am far more concerned with GA flying than I am in a high performance ejection seat aircraft. Things happen faster in a jet, but we have more tools to keep us safe and the Martin Baker seat has an awesome track record.

Every time I fly my Mooney, I think about where to put it if I have an engine failure. This is partly why I choose to fly high alt. Still, things like wx, single Piston, lack of excess power, systems that are less redundant, etc. make civilian GA flying inherently less safe. Some mil aviators don't fly GA. Others do. We all know the risk.

Fly safe.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 9:02 AM, irishpilot said:

If "interesting" means "tragic." I agree.

As a military aviator, I am far more concerned with GA flying than I am in a high performance ejection seat aircraft. Things happen faster in a jet, but we have more tools to keep us safe and the Martin Baker seat has an awesome track record.

Every time I fly my Mooney, I think about where to put it if I have an engine failure. This is partly why I choose to fly high alt. Still, things like wx, single Piston, lack of excess power, systems that are less redundant, etc. make civilian GA flying inherently less safe. Some mil aviators don't fly GA. Others do. We all know the risk.

Fly safe.

Outstanding post...couldn't agree more.

Steve

On 6/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, GeeBee said:

The question is why impact the terrain at high speed?  Unless they were already incapacitated.

Trying to extinguish the inflight fire perhaps? lost track of what altitude they were at? 

3 hours ago, GLJA said:

Trying to extinguish the inflight fire perhaps? lost track of what altitude they were at? 

Or incapacitated or the fire affected a critical control or...?   May not ever know.