Starter motor replacement- please advice

Hi,

Unfortunately during engine overhaul (Lycoming O360 A1D) the old (I think) Prestolite starter motor was not overhauled. Last time worked at "second attempt" and now is not working any more.

Please advice regarding replacement. 

Thanks,

M.

Hi,
Unfortunately during engine overhaul (Lycoming O360 A1D) the old (I think) Prestolite starter motor was not overhauled. Last time worked at "second attempt" and now is not working any more.
Please advice regarding replacement. 
Thanks,
M.
I'll happily recommend the the SkyTech starter. 10lbs lighter, and spins twice as fast for easier starts.
  • Like 2

Just be sure you know if your ring gear has 122 or 149 teeth.  I know from experience that, at least in the case of my 64E, the IO360-A1A could have either ring gear.  Either reference your old starter or just go out and count.

Verify the details....

But the skytech 149NL seems to be a good choice... requiring no cowl mods required to make it fit...

12 or 24V is also an important detail...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Skytech 149NL&quick=1

Often the starter solenoid gets old and dirty causing the challenge.... be sure to clean all connections to keep from changing out some old parts that are still operational...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I have a Prestolite starter I just removed from my E model. I removed it to  install a Skytec. It has less than 100 hours since overhaul. If you want it I'll let it go for 100 bucks. The Skytec is a good option.

• Like 1