auto pilot kfc 150 vs replacement

GFC 500 with be approved for use with the G275 in August 2020, unit has capability now but formal paper work is on the way, on the waiting list to replace KAP 150 auto pilot; system , on the list for the conversion in September. Just completed 5 hrs on the G275 units, lost 20# when vacuum system was removed, display is great, doesn't stick out of panel, easy to read.

switching between GPS and loc signals needs to be made easier to use, updates to units are easy to make via usb down loads, 

Meanwhile, I have sent out several inquires to shops within my state requesting an estimate for a G 275 install and didn't receive any replies, not even from Sarasota. Either they aren't back to work yet (doubtful) or they don't want the business. Sigh.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Meanwhile, I have sent out several inquires to shops within my state requesting an estimate for a G 275 install and didn't receive any replies, not even from Sarasota. Either they aren't back to work yet (doubtful) or they don't want the business. Sigh.

Sarasota quoted me $5100 for the ADI and $7489 for the HSI (or $12,589 total). I don't think this quote included the OAT sensor. However, this was back in Feb before COVID. Tom@SarasotaAvionics.com helped me with the quotes.

38 minutes ago, louisut said:

Sarasota quoted me $5100 for the ADI and $7489 for the HSI (or $12,589 total). I don't think this quote included the OAT sensor. However, this was back in Feb before COVID. Tom@SarasotaAvionics.com helped me with the quotes.

Thanks for the reply, I just sent Tom a message.

2 hours ago, louisut said:

I am thinking about going this route as well and keeping the KFC-150 for a while longer.  Also considering Aspen's new E5 Evolution, which seems to be a little cheaper with the discount they are currently offering.  Does anyone know if an Aspen will drive the GFC500 from Garmin?

2 hours ago, louisut said:

Maybe I could take over your estimate. Here is what he replied with "The GI275 will be $7689.00 installed"

32 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

Does anyone know if an Aspen will drive the GFC500 from Garmin?

We know. It won't.

The GFC 'brains' are mostly in the G5/G3x/Eventually GI 275 with some smarts in the servos themselves. The Autopilot Box is simply a control interface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Maybe I could take over your estimate. Here is what he replied with "The GI275 will be $7689.00 installed"

Not sure what to say. Remember though that this was in February when the device was very new, and so perhaps their quotes were adjusted to match actual times.

Could also be that we asked for different things. I'm not sure if my initial quote included the autopilot integration. I didn't ask further because we abandoned the idea. FL was just a little too far to travel for the upgrade.