KAP 150 Self-Test incomplete

I just picked up my plane today from the avionics shop where I had the Aspen MAX upgrade done. When I do the test on my KAP 150, I get 4 sets of blinking lights, and that is all. Prior to today, I would get 5 sets blinking lights and about 7 beeps over the sonalert. When I didn't get any sound today, I turned off my electric trim and hit test. Just as it has always done, the sonalert started beeping until I turned trim back on and hit test again. So I know the sonalert is good, the trim works, but nothing from the AP itself. Reset the CB and no change. I punched all of the switches and buttons associated with the AP, but still no change.

Other details: when I do the test on the AP, my KAS 297B goes through its self-test like it always has done, and comes up good. When flying today, the 297B did alert at the normal altitudes based on its setting (1,000' and 200' before the selected altitude).

The avionics shop is not saying they did not do something, but they are saying it was working earlier this week when they took it out for the final compass swing. Before I get them to look into it - which would have to be after my annual (ferry permit to get home) - I would like to chase down anything I can do myself. So does anyone have any thought on where I should look and what I might test next based on what the description I gave? Would love to get some ideas from our avionics pros like @Jake@BevanAviation and @Bob Weber if they would indulge me.

Also, if it makes any difference, the whole panel is comprised of the Aspen PFD/MFD MAX, KAS 297B, KEA 130A, Avidyne 540, PMA 450B, KX 165, KAP 150, AXP 322 (Remote), JPI 830, and the standard airspeed indicator. No vacuum except for speed brakes.

TIA

Unfortunately, I had many issues as well...check out this thread:

There could be several things going on from improperly shielded or inferior quality CAT5 cable from the 1000 pro to the EA100 to incompatible software versions to 

My issue turned out to be that the EA100 converter was loaded with software version 1.1 and it requires software version 1.2... find the EA100 and look at the label on it, that should tell you what version you have loaded.  Also, have your avionics shop get in touch with Andy Smith at Aspen. He is the technical support guru.  PM me for his number.  

• Like 1

First thought is you mention 4 flashing lights (trim) then nothing.  Typically when this happens the unit is still stuck in self test mode and not issuing a fail or pass command.  There are 2 relays on the top board that deal with the ramp rate test for attitude.  I have seen these fail and produce the same result.  If the unit has been removed from the rack I would suggest double checking the pins and re-racking the unit and then test again.  

The fact that you at least get some flashing lights means the unit is working just stuck somewhere in the PFT mode.  If the shop has the flight line test kit i would suggest getting the unit out and testing it on the bench with the test chips.  That should be able to narrow down the issue with the unit.  NOTE: as long as the dash number is not -15 it will work with the flight line test kit.  If your unit is a dash -15 the only shop that can test it is Duncan.

The only think I can think of is maybe the EA100 could have a issue with the interconnect relay for attitude valid.  If it is working properly you should get bus voltage on P2 pin B at the flight computer.  Pushing the disconnect switch or the EA100 becoming invalid should remove this voltage.

Edited by Jake@BevanAviation
  • Like 3

@Jake@BevanAviation thanks for the direction to look. Based on what you and @alextstone have said, I think I will check the s/w rev level on the EA 100, the cable and then, if it is 1.2 or better, pull the computer, check the pins and then re-rack it to see if that clears it up.

I did try pushing/holding down the AP disconnect on the yoke with no change in symptoms.

Thanks for the quick response guys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alextstone said:

One more thing:  You have to let the Aspen system fully boot up, waiting for the AHRS fail light to go out BEFORE doing the AP self test.  Otherwise the AP will not receive attitude info from the EA100 and your test will fail.

I learned that all too well in 2018 when I had the PFD installed. Got frustrating, so I rewrote my start-up checklist to make sure everything was up before testing the AP.

• Like 1

Okay, now before I have a high speed come apart, based on some of the items to check from @Jake@BevanAviation, @alextstone and others ( @Andy Smith ), my interpretation of the following photos indicate to me some problems with the installation might exist. 

The truly upsetting item is the original install was done by one shop and the MAX by another, which is when the MFD was installed.  If something is wrong, when should it have been caught and corrected, or am I wrong and what I am seeing is how Aspen expects their equipment to be installed? I don’t have the Installation Manual, so I am just going off of what the 337 says.

I welcome any and all comments. 

E28DAD98-AC7B-429E-9A9D-102EF8B8ED58.jpeg

1755E27D-490C-49C5-A562-A2A07D6289AE.jpeg

452EA093-58BC-4187-88A5-A057BB6318C3.jpeg

29E37A5C-E4AA-48ED-9544-2DEE21413E42.jpeg

image.jpg