Finished.

Minus some blank panels and sorting out how I want my yoke switches wired, I’m done. 

I have over 3 long weeks into the build of this project and probably another month of planning and cad work. 

I completed all the work completely by myself (with IA supervision of course)

im not going to say it’s as good as pro shops, it’s not, but it’s functional, looks decent, and has everything I wanted for the cost of equipment only + some tools I didn’t have. 

I’ll go through it and clean it up as time allows. The big benefit of doing it yourself is if there is something I don’t like about the placement I can cut new panels and do what I want. 

2192C7B0-CB19-46F1-81C9-91877BE142C3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It's pretty straight forward really, I got all the numbers and parameters dialed in quickly from the POH.  I taxied it around and I'm figuring out how I like the layout to be.  I think I'm a full screen map on the right screen kind of guy and a full screen PFD on the left with Engine in the bottom bar.  Still have some odds and ends to tie up and get the paperwork done, so I have some time to play before the maiden voyage.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, chriscalandro said:

Minus some blank panels and sorting out how I want my yoke switches wired, I’m done. 

I have over 3 long weeks into the build of this project and probably another month of planning and cad work. 

I completed all the work completely by myself (with IA supervision of course)

im not going to say it’s as good as pro shops, it’s not, but it’s functional, looks decent, and has everything I wanted for the cost of equipment only + some tools I didn’t have. 

I’ll go through it and clean it up as time allows. The big benefit of doing it yourself is if there is something I don’t like about the placement I can cut new panels and do what I want. 

2192C7B0-CB19-46F1-81C9-91877BE142C3.jpeg

Those screens look great.  They seem pretty reflective in the pics.  Is glare much of an issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I've been trying to understand the architecture of the Dynon system.  Ignoring the D10 backup, I see the two 10-inch displays, the KX-170 and the ICOM nav.  I'm assuming there's more, remote equipment.  Care to detail what all is in the system you put together and how it's all intended to play?

2 hours ago, geoffb said:

Chris,

I've been trying to understand the architecture of the Dynon system.  Ignoring the D10 backup, I see the two 10-inch displays, the KX-170 and the ICOM nav.  I'm assuming there's more, remote equipment.  Care to detail what all is in the system you put together and how it's all intended to play?

Behind the left display is the adhars, a backup battery, the Dynon network hub, and the engine monitoring module. Behind the right screen is a backup battery, transponder, and adsb in module. The magnetometer is in the back behind the access panel mounted to the horizontal support. 

some things are serial and some things are on the Dynon network. 

Edited by chriscalandro

15 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

Looking good!  I for one am glad you did this project because I ended up with a good deal on a transponder and some starting cad files!

I’m about a week out from finishing my panel. 

Looking forward to seeing it!  How did those files work out?

Edited by chriscalandro

3 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

Looking forward to seeing it!  How did those files work out?

Good.  I made some adjustments to the shape based on some test piece fitting.  I felt like the pilot side was a little tall when tiled to vertical and trimmed around the outer edges to gain some wiggle room.  Hopefully it all fits well!

7 hours ago, geoffb said:

Chris,

I've been trying to understand the architecture of the Dynon system.  Ignoring the D10 backup, I see the two 10-inch displays, the KX-170 and the ICOM nav.  I'm assuming there's more, remote equipment.  Care to detail what all is in the system you put together and how it's all intended to lay?

It's integrated.  If you go with the ADSB/Transponder...   There is a screen for that.   If you put the VHF radio in then it can suggest the airport freQs.   It has boxes to fly to if you hook up a Approach certified GPS.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:41 PM, chriscalandro said:

400/year

So why insure the Avionics?   I look at it this way.   If the plane is really totaled I don't care because I am totaled too.    If the plane gets kind of totaled, I can buy the plane from the insurance company and pull the boxes out and stick them in something new.   Is this a silly way of thinking?

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

So why insure the Avionics?   I look at it this way.   If the plane is really totaled I don't care because I am totaled too.    If the plane gets kind of totaled, I can buy the plane from the insurance company and pull the boxes out and stick them in something new.   Is this a silly way of thinking?

I'm doing some upgrades so this is a really good question for me, too.

? @Parker_Woodruff ?