Oxygen Bottle Expiration?

I have a 2006 Ovation 2 converted to 3,

I was just told the O2 bottle has a useful life of @ 15 yrs. I've not heard of that before or seen it listed anywhere. I know it needs to be Hydro tested every 5 yrs.

Is this correct?

Anyone know if/when  it needs mandatory replacement; and typical costs for the built in O2 bottle in a 2006 M20R?

Thanks in advance

Roger

1 minute ago, VetRepp said:

I have a 2006 Ovation 2 converted to 3,

I was just told the O2 bottle has a useful life of @ 15 yrs. I've not heard of that before or seen it listed anywhere. I know it needs to be Hydro tested every 5 yrs.

Is this correct?

Anyone know if/when  it needs mandatory replacement; and typical costs for the built in O2 bottle in a 2006 M20R?

Kevlar bottles manufactured after 6/30/2006 have a service life of 15 years, and need hydrostatic testing / recertification every 5 years.

You have either the 77cf or 115cf bottle.  The replacement cost for one is around $1800, depending on where you shop.  I'd recommend the 115cf if you need to get it replaced.

@jgarrison on here (Jimmy) can help you procure a bottle at a very reasonable price if you need a replacement.

Steve

• Like 1

Composite and thin(ner) steel tanks have service life spans of 15 and 24 years, respectively.   The thick steel and aluminum tanks have unlimited service life spans.  They all need periodic hydrostatic testing at either 3 or 5 year intervals.

See Figure 2 here:

https://www.aircraftsystemstech.com/2017/05/aircraft-oxygen-systems-and-components.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1