Engine Cartoon, Model, or Breakaway

211º

Camshaft, crankshaft, lifters, valves, pushrods, etc.

Each time I think about the IO-360 and try to picture how different things work and interact, I keep thinking "Man, I'd love to have a 1/8 scale working model of my Lycoming". I've looked on the internet and found a couple of models on amazon and a couple of cartoons/visualizations but nothing that hits a homrun.

Does anyone have any suggestions of websites that have either a model for sale or a (good) graphical representation?

If not, I could see myself beginning to take apart the PDF Lycoming parts manual that I have and coloring and labeling it for an exercise in better understanding.

@211º- Maybe this is sort of what you're looking for.  Lycoming used to give out posters at OSH for free.  I had to get out to my hangar to take a picture of this, otherwise I'd have posted it sooner.  It's a 2.1 MB photo, if you tap on it and save it should have more than enough detail to read everything.

IMG_2265.JPG

• Like 1

211 Senior Member:

I know you can do it with a little motivation

Call Lycoming Williamsport explain your teaching a class of future AI mechanics

Reference the poster Andy posted.. if they have any left and your having a lucky day THEY will send one ..

The one I recieved probalbly eight years ago is heat shrinked and displayed on our EAA chapter wall.  Approx 18 X 24 inches

Best of luck 

Pat

1991 M20 J

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy95W said:

It's a 2.1 MB photo, if you tap on it and save it should have more than enough detail to read everything.

@Andy95W That is perfect!  Now to lay-out a key/legend for coloring in on the iPad - if I get it done, I'll repost.  Thanks much!

• Thanks 1

Go to the Lycoming site... see if they have your engine there.... the O540 is nice but...

It is worth a call to the factory if that helps...

Expect that it is one part marketing...

Good for both the owner and the supplier...

Best regards,

-a-