PA-31T You Can See Flames Hear Explosion

Not often you have this kind video. This happened two days ago. The video will send chills down your spine. PA31T enroute, in flames, then you hear a loud pop and it goes down in flames. There are two different videos. Unusual for a PT6A powered plane to be this involved in this kind of flame.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/pilot-florida-family-of-4-headed-to-funeral-in-indiana-die-in-georgia-plane-crash

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

That boom is airframe failure.   

I read that the wing was located away from the fuselage, so that would make sense.  The flames and smoke have me baffled though.

Edited by rbridges

5 hours ago, rbridges said:

I read that the wing was located away from the fuselage, so that would make sense.  The flames and smoke have me baffled though.

The wing is in a different location than the main wreckage in one of the videos above.

Clarence

On 6/9/2020 at 9:42 PM, afward said:

Is the PA31 wing attached the same way as a PA28R?  I wanna say I've seen that it's a different design, but if it's the same... :o

Definitely not a PA28 wing at all. They are based on a Navajo, if you look at a Cheyenne (I, II, III) you will recognize the Navajo lineage:

699450914_ScreenShot2020-06-12at5_09_18PM.thumb.png.a769c86faac407e4a2a796aa04a663da.png

• Thanks 1