JPI EDM 830 Data Files Empty

Does anyone have any experience with the JPI EDM 830 data files being empty? 

Many months ago, I downloaded data from my JPI-830 and uploaded to Savvy and was able to review my flights. I started by selecting the option to download "All" data on my JPI-830. I uploaded it to Savvy and everything seemed to work fine. Then, when I tried to download "New" data from my JPI-830 and upload it to Savvy, the files seem to upload successfully but there doesn't appear to be any flight data.

Between "working" and "not working" I did modify the programming to reduce the "sample rate" and it's possible that I messed something up I suppose. (Any idea what?)

Yesterday, I downloaded from my JPI and it should of had at least 2 three hour flights. When I upload the file to Savvy, it seems to process okay but does not have any flight data. I inspected it with EZTrends and again, the file does not appear to have any flight data.

On Savvy, after processing the file, the log shows the following;
2020-06-08 14:58:30.499137+00:00
JPI Model 830.
JPI Version 340.
JPI Build 0.
Found flight header 1638
Parsing binary data.

Starting to process flight #1638.
The following series didn't contain any data and were skipped: TIT1, TIT2, CHT5, CHT6, OIL_PRESS, CARB_TEMP, IAT, VOLTS2.
This is normal, unless you know configuration generates data for them.
Successfully processed flight #1638.

I created a ticket with Savvy but I suspect the problem is with the configuration of the JPI EDM 830.

Does anyone have any good thoughts on what might be causing the file to download and have no data?

I'll try to attach the file here...

Good suggestions would be appreciated...

U200607.JPI

I've been through all manner of JPI data challenges with my 700.  There are two primary settings in that unit to be concerned with:  the data RATE (max is 2, I think), and the MEM setting which controls whether or not it writes to an internal memory or just provides data in real-time to the serial port.  If you are getting blank files, that may just be a random occurrence - has happened to me before.  Try to do DUMP ALL again and see what happens.  If you can't do that at present time, try to look at your data through EZSave.  I've had some times where the data was available in EZSave but Savvy couldn't get it.  It's not a solution, but a step!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ReconMax said:

Many months ago, I downloaded data from my JPI-830 and uploaded to Savvy and was able to review my flights. I started by selecting the option to download "All" data on my JPI-830. I uploaded it to Savvy and everything seemed to work fine. Then, when I tried to download "New" data from my JPI-830 and upload it to Savvy, the files seem to upload successfully but there doesn't appear to be any flight data.

Between "working" and "not working" I did modify the programming to reduce the "sample rate" and it's possible that I messed something up I suppose. (Any idea what?)

Yesterday, I downloaded from my JPI and it should of had at least 2 three hour flights. When I upload the file to Savvy, it seems to process okay but does not have any flight data. I inspected it with EZTrends and again, the file does not appear to have any flight data.

JPI Model 830.
JPI Version 340.
JPI Build 0.
Found flight header 1638
Parsing binary data.

The following series didn't contain any data and were skipped: TIT1, TIT2, CHT5, CHT6, OIL_PRESS, CARB_TEMP, IAT, VOLTS2.

I created a ticket with Savvy but I suspect the problem is with the configuration of the JPI EDM 830.

Does anyone have any good thoughts on what might be causing the file to download and have no data?

U200607.JPI 10.88 kB · 1 download

If you open the file in EZTrends, do you see anything?

The file opens in EZTrends and shows a single flight #1638. There should be at least 2 flights there since I downloaded "new" and two flights had taken place since the last time I downloaded data. That single flight seems to show a flight time of 0.00 hours with 6 second rate sampling. I attached screenshots...

I need to get setup where I can rapidly test at the hangar. I will take a laptop out so that I can repeatedly test. 

How long will I need to run the plane to constitute a "flight"? I think I saw 5 minutes somewhere but I'm not sure. 

I have all tried to download "All" again but it seems to generate the same file as the download "New"...

I'll keep at it an post my findings but it might take me a week or so...

Thanks everyone for your interest and help...

image.png.feb2c859fe7bc8e1a34422d3e2414042.png

When I open the flight, I see;

image.thumb.png.15f420152b16ad5d4d61842cc3d497b0.png

I just grabbed your 0607 file and saw the same six second flight.  Do you have the file from the DUMP ALL that you did?  It should be many times bigger than that.

As a side note, I had this issue recently.  The reason for it was I forgot to plug in the serial connector before I did the dump.  The JPI doesn't actually know if you have anything hooked up or not!

I do but the dump "All" created the exact same file. I did the dump "new" on one thumbdrive and then for good measure did a dump "All" on a second thumbdrive. Both files appear to be exactly the same. U200607.JPI

This one is from the dump "All" thumbdrive. 

Also, I just use a thumbdrive and not a serial connected laptop.

Hi John, I see Corey got back to you from Savvy. You really need to check with JPI. But once its logging data, even a minute of data is enough to upload to Savvy and see. Flight that are under 5 min though are hidden, just click on "Show short flights" in bottom right hand corner, since they're still there - all are, but we hide them by default since they aren't real flights.

But also change your data sampling rate to a minimum of every 2 sec - that's the fastest the 830 will go. the default 6 sec rate is coarse to be of much value.

• Like 2

Thanks and yes Corey confirmed the data file was the problem. As soon as I am able, I'll return to the plane with better tools to allow me to iterate quickly. Usually, I don't have my laptop but next time I will. 

I am also considering contacting JPI at some point but I want to give it another go first. I'll report back when I make progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update because I want to make sure I follow this through until the end on MS in case someone finds it useful...

I did contact JPI about the issue. They provided me with instructions to reset the EDM-830 to Factory Settings and informed that if the factory reset didn't resolve the issue, I will need to send the unit back to the factory. Here are the instruction they provided;

EDM 700.800730/830 factory reset.

Power the EDM up and let it go through the self-test and if asked to fill fuel tap step buttons a couple of times to clear it, hold both buttons down until you see program then release the buttons tap step or next to advance through the settings, write dow Hobbs, Tach, K-factor, GPC-, etc settings continue tapping until you see end but do not end, hold both buttons down until you see factory then release buttons, tap step or next to advance through settings, write down Main, Aux, ENC, etc, continue tapping next until you end program. Now is the time to download your flight data if you want to save it. If you have fuel flow put the external switch in fuel flow position.  Now get back into the Factory Limits and the first setting is FAC ? N, tap LF button to change to Y then tap step button, tap LF button until you see (Config and Data) 730/830 only, then tap step button, EDM will now reset itself a couple of times, once done resetting, go back into the Program and Factory Limits mode and re-enter your previously recorded data. If this does not fix your issue then EDM will have to come back to JPI.

I found the instructions to be confusing. My EDM-830 immediately presented differently than the instruction implied. However, with some time and manual study, I believe I was able to follow the spirit of the instructions. I reset my unit to Factory Settings and then "programmed" back in the original values for the various settings. Unfortunately, my unit still just simply gives me an 11KB file that contains a single flight with a duration of 0.0 hours. 

I contacted JPI again to let them know my results. They indicated I should try to do a firmware update and sent me a link. I have not tried to do the firmware update yet.

Also, since it is time for an oil change, I will have the mechanic look at it to see if he can get data off of it and let him know about the suggestion to do a firmware update.

Now I'm really thinking about getting a "primary" engine monitor installed. I'll check back in when we make more progress.

Thanks MS for all the help you provide. I hope my experience helps someone else...

• Like 2

Okay, checking back in...

JD over at SWTA looked at my engine monitor and did the reset to factory procedure and re-configured the unit. For some reason, after JD did the procedure, I can now download usable data files. So, did I do something wrong? I guess so. JD seemed to think it might be because I did the Factory Reset while the engine was running. JD did it without the engine running. So, I just don't know and I guess this whole thread doesn't really provide anybody a lot of help. But this closes it out. The unit seems to be working perfectly again. 

Regardless, I learned a lot about the unit throughout the process. 

I was able to fly and get good data off of it. We installed Gami injectors at the last oil and now I will accumulate data and do the various tests to see how the new injectors perform and if we need to make adjustments to them.

One thing that is a good take-away from this is, JD at SWTA is awesome! I learn something new with every interaction I have with him. It only took him a couple minutes to get it worked out. 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, ReconMax said:

JPI Model 830.
JPI Version 340.
JPI Build 0.
Found flight header 1638
Parsing binary data.

U200607.JPI 10.88 kB · 3 downloads

I am having the same problem with my JPI 700. I took it to my avionics guru, who said it downloaded properly for them. I suspect it might be a problem in the cable from the JPI to my laptop, but have not confirmed that yet.