TKS pump problem

M20R

2 hours ago, M20R said:

My non FIKI TKS pump has failed! A quick email to CAV resulted in a quote of $2600 to overhaul and certify the pump. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet on this unless someone has a different option.

I don't know if this might work for you:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cav-Aerospace-TKS-Metering-Pump-28V/133085466219?hash=item1efc830e6b:g:XlIAAOSw~NBdA9yH

This thread has some useful information in it, specifically the rubber mallet idea.

Separately, unsure if @StevenL757 was ball parking or had a quote, but to go from $700 for new to $2600 overhauled over 3 years seems pretty crazy, especially if the unverified "it's just an ice cream pump" aspect is true.

Coincidentally, I just had both windshield pumps replaced at annual last week.  Two replacement OH pumps off the shelf from CAV came to $2386.  I received $400 ($200 per pump) as a core credit, so the total was $1986 + $200 labor.  I have to say that although they were expensive in my opinion, they lasted 13 years (TKS system was installed in 2007), which is beyond the normal life expectancy of these things.  CAV did a great job coordinating the returns and processing the shipping of the OH units.

The rubber mallet idea works in the short-term to get a stubborn windshield pump to wake up again, but that only lasts so long before you need to fork over some $$ to have one or more done.

Which pump failed?  Was it one of the main pumps or one of the windscreen pumps?

image.png.85d3380ace5b8cce5ae6ad63e5cbb200.png

Edited by StevenL757
Content
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, M20R said:

My non FIKI TKS pump has failed! A quick email to CAV resulted in a quote of $2600 to overhaul and certify the pump. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet on this unless someone has a different option.

Give Jeff Holden a call at CAV.  (785) 787-3229.  If he doesn't answer, leave a VM and he'll return your call.  They're operating with a limited staff, but he is the best source of pricing for new purchases, OH units on the shelf, and even better pricing on sending in your pump(s) for OH and returning to you.  Their turnaround time on a pump OH right now is ~15 days.

Steve

Assuming this is the proper pump, I'd be careful buying it based on cost alone.  I can tell you from first-hand experience these pumps are not your average run-of-the-mill pump - unlike previous jokes have alluded to.  This specific pump was tagged in 2010, so I can only guess the internal gaskets are likely worn down and other pieces may need overhauling.  It also doesn't come with a warranty, so you'll be likely spending good money after bad.

You're better-off calling CAV, to understand options.  They will likely give you three...

• Buy new outright (keep or discard your existing failed pump).  This is the most-expensive option.
  • Buy an overhauled pump off their shelf, assuming one in stock (again, keep or discard your existing failed pump).  Slightly less-expensive option, as they will refund a core deposit to you if your existing core is considered serviceable.
  • Send in your failed pump for overhaul.  Approximately a 15-day turnaround for them to OH and send back to you (least-expensive option).

All three options come with a two-year warranty.

Let me know if questions.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1