Radar altimeter (KRA10) troubleshooting

My radar alt. isn't working. We have tested the indicator on the bench and it works so I would like to look at the connections but don't want to open many access panels if not necessary. Would anyone know where the computer should be located? I read in the install manual that it shouldn't be more than 2ft away from the antenna which is half-way through the right wing. 

Thank you!

12 hours ago, xavierde said:

My radar alt. isn't working. We have tested the indicator on the bench and it works so I would like to look at the connections but don't want to open many access panels if not necessary. Would anyone know where the computer should be located? I read in the install manual that it shouldn't be more than 2ft away from the antenna which is half-way through the right wing. 

Thank you!

The Weather Radar , is in the right wing , If the Radar altimeter is in the wing , that would be a new one for me...  Look for the antenna in the empennage , se the pic ... The RT unit is within 18 inches of that antenna... It is usually a bad RT unit , I have them if you need one... 

ka131.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Didn’t know anyone was still using those...

As the magic of WAAS gps is becoming so prevalent...

I have the indicator on my HSI for the radar light display... nothing attached to it...

Best regards,

-a-

Agree.  That was one of the first things we pulled when we got the plane.

Edited by Bob - S50

I removed mine last year.  The antenna was on the right wing, and the computer was in the next bay outboard and forward from the antenna.  You can follow the antenna cable to find it.  It was a bit tricky to get at and remove only being able to work through the inspection panel.  

• 11 months later...

I have a KRA 10 complete System  at my Hangar, I would like to install it.

The belly of the M20K-231 has a stringer on the lower Fuselage so its not possible to place the Antenna in the center of the lower belly, (except the access door to the lower aft fuselage).

As there are many M20s around with a KRA10 installed, Im interested in how the KA131 is mounted.

Thank you all for pictures or drawings or STC copys.

KA131.JPG

There are so many getting uninstalled lately...

Are you sure you want to install one?

The WAAS revolution is probably responsible for the change...

There is a new lidar device for telling height above the runway that is gaining traction...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guy...

Best regards,

-a- 

• 10 months later...

Yea that currency is pretty steep. With a required functional check every 15 calendar days, i wouldn’t ever have to worry about corrosion in the engine. Isn’t the minimum function check for most 121 carriers 30 days?. Granted they are flying ILS so often it’s not going to get to 15 days but i thought thats why we have to do a max thrust takeoff and autoland once every 30 days. 

Sometimes the stars all align…

And somebody will take the opportunity to use the special approach… and take a video of how it is done…

Of course performing the Cat II approach can get you to the ground with a 100’ ceiling…

But… you don’t need that low of a ceiling to do the Cat II approach… (?)

@201er likes challenges like these…. Let him get started on the research….   :) (CAT II approaches in a Mooney)

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/2/2022 at 10:01 AM, Ragsf15e said:

I thought all the airplanes with radar altimeters were going to fall out of the sky with 5g… you want to add one?

With mine having the needle bounce around i was thinking it was because of 5g transmissions as it just started this year but the test function doesn’t work so not sure if that’s the ki-250 or the kra-10 that is faulty.