King KFC 200

Seth

Has garmin created the piece of equipment at this time to allow a G5 to control the KFC 200 autopilot?  It is drivin by my KI256 I'm just thinking for down the line.

What about the Gi275?

Thanks,

-Seth

Edited by Seth

Not that I’m aware of, there isn’t anything garmin made that will translate the digital to analog for the KFC, only thing that “exists” is the King aeroflight. But being that it was delayed for 5 years, and no one had anything to say about it from a user stand point I had to make the decision to go full autopilot overhaul.

As Bob said the 275 or a pair will drive the 200. Another option is the E5 aspen package that includes a ACU and EA100 for a package price of $8k msrp. My guess is you will fly away from the shop with an extra 6-7k in your pocket going with the aspen vs Garmin. 

8095B23F-D1CA-45F2-B867-7AB7B3D5DEE5.jpeg

• Like 4

On 6/6/2020 at 6:51 PM, Bob - S50 said:

G5 no.  GI275 yes.

GI275 Interface list

That's pretty amazing that the GI275 does drive a KFC200. If so, I hope they come out with the guts of the GI275 in a slightly larger format closer to the G5. But I have a solution now should i not want to move forward with a KI256A when it becomes a problem again. 

I purchased a used KI256A from Alan Fox which has been great so far (was a better updated revision of the one I had). Cost less to do this and calibrate an an avionics shop to my airplane than overhaul my old one.

But next time I'll price out removing the Vacum pump, removing the standby system, and putting in two GI275's or a GI275 and G5, or whatever the avionics available are at that point! 

-Seth

The price difference between two G5s and two GI275s is half way to a GFC500.  I'm picking my plane up tomorrow with the G5s and GFC500.  Its a bit more money now but every servo and wire is new now and I won't have a servo overhaul or some other problem with a 20 year old autopilot next month.

• Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 1:04 AM, MIm20c said:

As Bob said the 275 or a pair will drive the 200. Another option is the E5 aspen package that includes a ACU and EA100 for a package price of $8k msrp. My guess is you will fly away from the shop with an extra 6-7k in your pocket going with the aspen vs Garmin. 

8095B23F-D1CA-45F2-B867-7AB7B3D5DEE5.jpeg

That is a sweet deal ! Too bad I already ordered mine...

• 9 months later...

The G5 HSI will provide heading and course information to a KFC 200. Additionally, the G5 HSI acts as a GPSS roll steering converter when interfaced to a Garmin GPS navigator. However, the G5 ADI cannot provide the attitude information to the KFC 200.

The GI 275, installed as the primary attitude instrument, can provide attitude information to a KFC 200.

I just replaced a King KI 255 attitude gyro in a KFC 200 equipped Bonanza A36 with a GI 275 (we had to make the floating panel solid as we used the GI 275 with integrated ADAHRS...not necessary when using external ADC/AHRS/ADAHRS source). This aircraft also has the G5 HSI with a GNS 530 WAAS GPS navigator. These two instruments fly the KFC 200 extremely well together and the GPSS roll steering provided by the G5 HSI is absolutely on point.

• Like 1