Audio panel replacement

I don't know how much you want to spend, but audio panel installs have a fair amount of labor cost, too.  I really like my PMA450. They're up to 450B's now.  Lots of great features, including copilot as passenger.  Unfortunately my 450 does not have this, and I wish it did so my wife wouldn't have to hear ATC calls.  We use the built in USB charger a lot.

Edited by rbridges
  • Like 1

Audio panels are labor intensive to install, you will pay more for labor than a top of the line audio panel.  The new stuff is all so good with the built in intercom plus other features, you will wonder why you put it off so long.  You won't go wrong with the PMA450B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

I have an old Apollo SL15 that started giving issues with statics and needs to be replaced.

Any recommendation that does not cost a fortune and has Bluetooth? 

Thanks!

How about a PS Engineering PMA 7000BT?  Slide in replacement. Zero labor expense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FastTex said:

I was thinking something like this PMA8000B. I think I also need to change the tray and redo all the connections.

We have had a PMA8000BT for several years, and it is excellent. It’s especially nice to be able to use a cell phone with a Bluetooth connection to get clearances on the ground.  

Check out SoCal Flying Monkey’s review of the PMA450B on YouTube. It’s a pretty slick unit. More than I’d ever use, but would still be what I’d buy for a replacement when it comes time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FastTex said:

I was thinking something like this PMA8000B. I think I also need to change the tray and redo all the connections.

Please read above. No reason to spend big going with the 8000 series. The 7000 series is amazing as well and has zero insulation cost, slide out and slide a new one in. Slap an official signature in the log book and fly away. 

• Like 1

I swapped my kma20 for a PMA8000g, have to say it's amazing.  has all but one of the features of the pma 450b  but was a good deal cheaper.

i say it's actually missing half a feature.  the positional audio in the 8000 is hardcoded for 10am and 2pm  where the position is user selectable in the 450b.

to be honest, now that the newness has worn off, i notice i rarely use any of the advanced features.  calling approach on the cell phone is about it.

Note,  an audio panel install is labor intensive(expensive), it touches most everything in the plane.    If you swap it you might as well upgrade a few other things at the same time.