Show me your cup holder

bradp

I’d honestly be more concerned about a water bottle rolling forward towards the rudder pedals than a water spill.  

I do have one rule - no soda / pop/fizz allowed, especially with children.  One undetected spill and you could be looking at spar damage. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

I think the only more costly option is to get the official Mooney cup holder with an Ultra mounted around it.  

I know some people don’t like the idea because of stains.  But having some sort of cup holder also allows you to stash a regular water bottle in there too.  Or the small Gatorade/apple juice that is both a drinking vessel and a relief port if you aren’t lucky enough to have one vented outside. Either way, it keeps something more contained than rolling off the seat next to you, potentially behind the pedals.

Good points.

Coffee is very rarely occupying the cup holder in my Mooney. In fact the only times have been when I'm solo, the coffee is almost finished, but there's still a bit left, and the lid is on. The other 99% of the time it holds my wife's Nalgene water bottle.

I'm fully on board with no one else bringing drinks on board. But then, I almost never even have back seats in my Mooney. And Darby, the Labradoodle, doesn't drink in the plane.

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2020 at 6:37 PM, GeeBee said:

Take a look at marine stores like West Marine. The cup holders on the Ovation are sold regularly there

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--folding-cup-holders--P015_454_003_502?recordNum=14

When I first bought into my partnership in 2010 I ordered three of the West Marine plastic cup holders, thinking they would break on a regular basis. I still have two in their original packaging in a closet.

This here is where I keep bottled beverages in the Mooney. Two fit well when I have a right seater along. Used to be in front of the Flight Guide . . .

20200614_113506.thumb.jpg.fc7f4bd6d3f44a03a7866fd90f936917.jpg

Never trusted my Yeti (all sizes, all brands) to not tip over and spill. But now I have a Contigo that seals off--this one is about a third full of coffee, my favorite travel mug. But I still live by my large Yeti at home. 

20200614_113519.thumb.jpg.477ee77b7be04b5b71026bef8e85cf22.jpg

This is how it fits in the cup holder the best!  :D

20200614_122349.thumb.jpg.89bd659c61f781b3048e3185b49ac995.jpg

• 9 months later...
11 minutes ago, ToddCC22 said:

I 3D printed mine. Came in just under 8 oz and holds my IPad when it doesn’t have drinks in it. Heat vent exits below it. 
2B149F5C-F833-4683-9E7F-1A98CD4E7B2D.thumb.jpeg.8e3a5741c1b8dda5b3bbb0e58466fd34.jpeg

Down at Raytheon Missile Systems, there is a classified clean room I end up in once in a while. You can’t take your coffee in there. They 3D Printed cup holders just like those and screwed them to the wall right next to the cell phone lockers.

Just now, ZuluZulu said:

I've looked at those but I'm not sure where I'd put the bases.

If you attached some niobium magnets underneath the floor boards just in front of the back seats and screwed a steel plate on the bottom of the holder, you could stick it down back there. Might jack up your compass.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, Yetti said:

I have a teak one that is in the front of the seat.   2 cups on either side and notebook holder in the middle.   Kind of like this.  It just stays there.  814uflsRqsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That’s for a boat, the notebook holder is for binoculars. It’s not small either surprised you found a place for it.

Same thing mounted on the binnacle of a boat

2158E582-68B0-4272-B99B-A604B23C4F2F.jpeg

Edited by A64Pilot

On 6/10/2020 at 9:37 AM, Gagarin said:

If you are going to have cup holders have one of this pilot relief installed.;)

image.thumb.png.18a360bc1229e0b05f14de971d814861.png

30 or so years ago we removed these from all Army aircraft, the reason was corrosion.

When I was a Sgt. I kept the end that goes in the cockpit on my desk, for those not familiar it’s a narrow very long black plastic funnel, people who didn’t know what it was would always pick it up and try to “play” it like a musical instrument, someone would always walk up and ask them if they knew what it was,while they had it in their mouth.

‘It was a new unused one.

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

That’s for a boat, the notebook holder is for binoculars. It’s not small either surprised you found a place for it.

Same thing mounted on the binnacle of a boat

2158E582-68B0-4272-B99B-A604B23C4F2F.jpeg

The center section on mine is a bit smaller, but still can throw 2 water bottles in it.   It is just a bit smaller than the width of the front seat.   My Instructor was annoyed when I used Starboard and Port instead of left and right.

12 hours ago, Yetti said:

The center section on mine is a bit smaller, but still can throw 2 water bottles in it.   It is just a bit smaller than the width of the front seat.   My Instructor was annoyed when I used Starboard and Port instead of left and right.

Shouldn't @Yetti have a Yeti in his plane?

https://www.yeti.com/en_US

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Some of the newer 18 wheelers don't just have cup holders, they have cup warmers.

So where do you put your iced tea or Big Gulp?   Warm DP doesn't sound appealing to me.  ;)

• Like 1