GI-275 impressions

When I redid my panel earlier this year I originally was going to install 2 G-5's. However after comparing the G5 to the GI-275 there really was no comparison in my mind. The GI-275 not only has a lot more functionality but the display is also much higher quality. There are two things that I wish there could be improvement on though...

1) Setting heading. You have to touch the touch screen over the heading before you can dial a heading in. When getting vectored around I'd really prefer to have a dedicated knob for heading

2) Baro mins. I really like having the GI-275 make voice altitude call outs on the approach. However, its too bad that the option to turn it on is several layers down in the menu. I wish you could xfer the altitude over from the GPS. In the G1000 it asks you to set baro mins when you set up the approach. That would be easier.

What the GI-275 can do is a function of the mode its installed in. I have mine set up as PFD and MFD. However, each mode disables some features. So for instance I'm not able to access navigation menus in the GI-275 because that isn't enabled when in PFD or MFD mode. If you didn't already have a GPS it would be nice if you could enable this feature since the GI-275 makes a reasonable GPS navigator with waypoints, etc. I guess you could always install a third.

I really like the redundancy. Legally if any of my pitot static instruments failed I could still launch IFR since the GI-275's are legal primary pitot static. That was another benefit over the G5.

-Robert

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I believe so. I know it does with the GFC-500

-Robert

But the GFC-500 is already has altitude pre-select capability.  Could it's (the GFC 500) ability to do this organically allow the 275 to do this or can the 275 do this with legacy autopilots?

I'm looking strongly at getting two GI-275 and a 750 upgrade in the next year and retain my KAP-150 and this capability would be huge!

Bummer about no dedicated heading knob.  That would make it a bit awkward.  I was hoping that the knob on the lower left would do that (eg, normal turn for heading push and hold for CDI, or some such).

1 hour ago, MisfitSELF said:

Bummer about no dedicated heading knob.  That would make it a bit awkward.  I was hoping that the knob on the lower left would do that (eg, normal turn for heading push and hold for CDI, or some such).

I was thinking the same about the heading bug. It doesn't get any more convenient than the one on my K525A.

1 hour ago, MisfitSELF said:

That knob also sets your altitude alerts and obs from the main page. 

-Robert

But the GFC-500 is already has altitude pre-select capability.  Could it's (the GFC 500) ability to do this organically allow the 275 to do this or can the 275 do this with legacy autopilots?

I'm looking strongly at getting two GI-275 and a 750 upgrade in the next year and retain my KAP-150 and this capability would be huge!

I would think that when configured as a HSI the knob would default to heading.

32 minutes ago, N231BN said:
2 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

I would think that when configured as a HSI the knob would default to heading.

Oh.  Hmmm. Maybe you are right. I was setting it on the pfd. Maybe I’ll try the knob on the Mfd (which i put in hsi mode for approaches because I don’t need to see traffic, waypoint etc on it then). 

-Robert 

Oh.  Hmmm. Maybe you are right. I was setting it on the pfd. Maybe I’ll try the knob on the Mfd (which i put in hsi mode for approaches because I don’t need to see traffic, waypoint etc on it then). 

-Robert 
Just curious, what does the MFD show that the HSI doesn't in map mode?

Thank you for the update.

I'm getting a similar set up installed in 2 weeks, with 2 GI275's, a KAP150, and 2 430W's. I thought would not have altitude preselect unless you had it installed externally, since it's a function of the autopilot, not the GI275, but I'd love to be wrong!

Robert Gary, is there anything you wish you had asked the shop before installing it? I've had a few conversations with them over the phone and I can't think of anything else I need to ask, and that makes me nervous!

Eduardo

I’m going to be posting a video soon Highlighting a GI 275 install we did in a Cessna 150 to build an IFR glass trainer. 

It has three GI 275’s setup as PFD, HSI, and EIS. The HSI knob default is the heading bug. The PFD default knob is barometric pressure. 

86895AB9-A362-452D-B789-5D9FB62FBF4E.jpeg

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Eduleo said:

Thank you for the update.

I'm getting a similar set up installed in 2 weeks, with 2 GI275's, a KAP150, and 2 430W's. I thought would not have altitude preselect unless you had it installed externally, since it's a function of the autopilot, not the GI275, but I'd love to be wrong!

Robert Gary, is there anything you wish you had asked the shop before installing it? I've had a few conversations with them over the phone and I can't think of anything else I need to ask, and that makes me nervous!

Eduardo

Honestly I would wait for the gfc500 autopilot. That is an autopilot that rivals what we have in the citation. It even includes esp that recovers if you accidentally stall the plane with the autopilot off. It auto trims even when the autopilot is off etc. 

one thing I did at the last minute I’m happy with was replace the audio panel. Mine was ok but having everything new means I have no crackling or buzzing at all. 

another thing I didn’t think about but my shop did was integrate with my jpi. Now I get mpg and fuel remaining at destination. 

there is a lot of capability in these gi-275s and even the shops and support folks are not aware of everything they can do. They’re impressive little boxes  

-Robert 

52 minutes ago, Rmag said:

It has three GI 275’s setup as PFD, HSI, and EIS. The HSI knob default is the heading bug. The PFD default knob is barometric pressure. 

Did you set those defaults or those were what it came with? I just got new software on my pfd but it did not automatically default to altimeter. 

-Robert

6 hours ago, Rmag said:

Not sure. I can ask.  What does your PFD inner knob default to?

Hmm. I’m working on my annual and turned the system on and the pdf does default to alt setting. I wonder if there is a timeout. 
the hsi defaults to nothing but I found if I switch to map view and then the inner knob it sets heading. Then if I go back to hsi it’s on heading. Honestly that’s better than trying to use the touch screen.  
I’ve not yet started playing with the crew customizations yet. There may be something in there. 

-Robert 

15 hours ago, Rmag said:

I’m going to be posting a video soon Highlighting a GI 275 install we did in a Cessna 150 to build an IFR glass trainer. 

86895AB9-A362-452D-B789-5D9FB62FBF4E.jpeg

It almost seems like 3 GI-275s cost what a G3X touch would.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, N231BN said:
38 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:
 g3x with eis is $18,000 and install is much more panel modifications  
-Robert

And then you still need a backup right?

Right, and a G3X doesn’t fit in this aircraft.

• Confused 1

Yeah the standalone GI 275 is about $1k more than a EDM 900 MSRP, assuming install cost is the same.  From my initial playing around with the EIS I can’t honestly say it’s has $1,000 more capability.  Garmin does have a https://download.garmin.com/rebates/Garmin_GI_275_EIS_Promotional_Rebate.pdf $1,000 rebate on the GI 275 ESI going on now.  User interface is simple, and you have multiple pages for the main screen, EGT and CHT graphs, and the fuel computer calculations. Not sure a lot is gained having touch screen.  But overall I do like the unit.  I personally think that an EIS in a C150 is overkill to begin with, its the first time we ever did one in a 150.   We have it to demo for customers.  I think some may like the common aesthetic if they are doing an all GI 275 cockpit.  

Byron, I poked around the info on the G3X 7” version. All the G3X’s we have installed thus far are the 10.6” ones.  I believe the 7” as a PFD cannot have an integrated EIS.  The 7” can be a stand alone EIS or a MFD with EIS.

So using a 7” G3X would require another EIS solution if EIS was desired. It also would need a backup PFD or steam gauges for IFR redundancy. 

The one nice thing about the GI 275 is you can get the PFD and HSI with reversionary and you don’t need anything else.  

• Like 1