Mooney M20E Nose Wheel Covee

Hey everyone,
Other than plane plastics, is there anybody out there making the nose wheel cover for that m20 he's 67 or 69 years. I'm a little leery of the nose wheel covers from plane plastics because I haven't found their stuff to fit very well. I know there's trimming that needs to be done but still. I'd like to know if somebody can make one of these out of composite. In addition I would entertain plane plastics if somebody could shoot me a picture of what it looks like when it's all put together.

Bob

14 minutes ago, Bob R said:

Hey everyone,
Other than plane plastics, is there anybody out there making the nose wheel cover for that m20 he's 67 or 69 years. I'm a little leery of the nose wheel covers from plane plastics because I haven't found their stuff to fit very well. I know there's trimming that needs to be done but still. I'd like to know if somebody can make one of these out of composite. In addition I would entertain plane plastics if somebody could shoot me a picture of what it looks like when it's all put together.

Bob

Check out my album and see how you like mine.

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have a chrome nose wheel covers produced by LASAR.  You can see them in my profile pictures.  I has have a pair of painted covers from the vintage days I would be willing to sell.

John Breda

sorry John I guess I wasn't descriptive enough I'm looking for the interior cabin piece that covers that knows wheel well.

13 minutes ago, Bob R said:

I am speaking of the interior plastic piece that covers that nose wheel well.

There are 4 pieces that make up the covers, 65' E and these are from plane plastics, not much trimming 

image.thumb.jpeg.6ce379f9e55ab4a301e70a7b03e167bb.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bob R said:

I am speaking of the interior plastic piece that covers that nose wheel well.

I do know something about this one as well.  When I did my rebuild, I thought the nose gear well cover Mooney made was poorly designed, poorly made and ugly.

I set out to modernize it, if you will.  I used the original to hand lay-up fiberglass with multiple sanding and modifications until it fit pretty well.  That gave me my form, and then made my finished piece from that, using fire-retardant resin.  I used the trim and flap indicator from the J (with DER approval) and modified the attachments to the clear sliders so the cable-ends (eyelets) are screwed into a nut-plate and will not come loose.

I can make this part again, as i have the mold I made.  FYI:  This part took quite a long time to complete (It was a labor intensive part, and the plane was in TX and I was in Boston).

Drop me a line and let me know your thought.  I can get you a picture of the finished part, but what you see in the attached picture will give you a pretty good idea.  (I do not know how to rotate the picture).IMG_3012.thumb.JPG.ec01bde391e80c4ea95fbdd43af5cd82.JPG

John Breda

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

I do know something about this one as well.  When I did my rebuild, I thought the nose gear well cover Mooney made was poorly designed, poorly made and ugly.

I set out to modernize it, if you will.  I used the original to hand lay-up fiberglass with multiple sanding and modifications until it fit pretty well.  That gave me my form, and then made my finished piece from that, using fire-retardant resin.  I used the trim and flap indicator from the J (with DER approval) and modified the attachments to the clear sliders so the cable-ends (eyelets) are screwed into a nut-plate and will not come loose.

I can make this part again, as i have the mold I made.  FYI:  This part took quite a long time to complete (It was a labor intensive part, and the plane was in TX and I was in Boston).

Drop me a line and let me know your thought.  I can get you a picture of the finished part, but what you see in the attached picture will give you a pretty good idea.  (I do not know how to rotate the picture).IMG_3012.thumb.JPG.ec01bde391e80c4ea95fbdd43af5cd82.JPG

John Breda

Hi John,

I agree, they are ugly. My issue is I believe my E model was supposed to be a 1967 but on the test flight, the nose wheel collapsed and it subsequently came out as a 1968, but as most know, Mooney did not make an E model in 68. They just went with the Airworthiness Cert even though the serial number is 690007. Go figure.

Regardless, I would like to talk to you some more about this as yours looks really nice. There are some mods I would need to make as I have electric flaps and my cover comes up pretty high with some intricate curves. I do have the original one with some pieces mising but it may be able to be used as a mold or I could get some thin aluminum to start molding then fashion it out of composite.

Is there a good time to call you tomorrow?

Bob