392 knots for a few thousand bucks

That's one pointy little toy airplane.

You know what is amazing about this flying to me is not as much that a little jet airplane can go 451mph, but that the human pilot on the ground can control the thing at those speeds.  Consider the pilot on the ground has to see it to fly it, meaning see which way it is pointing and going at the least, and have time to react.  Consider that at 451mph it could easily fly out of site in a blink, or at least get so small you loose track of which way it is pointing, up or down and then from there it is impossible to decide how to control it.  This is one very expert pilot indeed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There’s an RC field near our house with a nicely paved runway that is every bit of 500’.  Usually twice a year they have a Jets and Giants get together where huge RVs with race car hauler style trailers meet up for a week or so. Some of those birds rival a late model Mooney in value and they are huge.  It’s absolutely amazing that people can follow and control something in the air at or below 400’ that is flying 400mph.  So cool.  They even make turbine RC helicopters and boats too. If I’m not mistaken, you can build a turbo prop like a PT6 too.  Yep, just checked.  JetCat makes them.  So @Yooper Rocketman could build an RC scale IVPT to go with his full size plane. 

• Like 3

I have a 2 ft wing span foam corsair electric but pretty sophisticated and seems pretty fast to me, that I got with one of my sons when he was 13.  I can't really fly it since I kept crashing it - but luckily they sold new wings not too expensive.  My son flies it like a champ!  Now he is 22 just finished aeronautical engineering at Cornell and heading to a PhD in aeronautical engineering at Caltech in the fall. (Excuse me if I'm bragging - but yah know - that's ma boy!)

I've always loved toy airplanes.  So I got a big one and climbed inside.

When I was little I had a very cool compressed air piston engine airplane where you charged the gas cylinder from a CO2 cartridge.  The engine made cool puffing sounds as it let the air out with each cycle of the engine. It was a very sophisticated air engine.  And tiny and light.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

When I was little I had a very cool compressed air piston engine airplane where you charged the gas cylinder from a CO2 cartridge.  The engine made cool puffing sounds as it let the air out with each cycle of the engine. It was a very sophisticated air engine.  And tiny and light.

Gagarin engine from Czechoslovakia?

I'm an old RC prophead. If I could find a small electric RC float plane, I'd jump back in.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank said:

Gagarin engine from Czechoslovakia?

I'm an old RC prophead. If I could find a small electric RC float plane, I'd jump back in.

Yes!  That’s it!  It was Czech.  I loved that thing.  I mean it was the Reagan era and was in middle school.  And I loved it!  Come to think of it / I’m heading over to eBay to look for one right now...

ps let me know when you get the rc float plane I’ll be right over!

8 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Cub

and this  

Float kit

Sweet.

i see it has “safe” technology which I presume is like our Corsair which is a sophisticated autopilot that has like esp - keeps you in the flying envelope protection.  And a straight and level button!  Included in a few hundred dollar airplane its more than you can expect for 20k in a real airplane!

the electric propulsion - Light high energy lipo batteries and Light High brushless motors Have changed everything from when it used to be gas engines.

46 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Yes - there’s a bunch of them on eBay of various sizes and single or double opposed pistons.  Buying shipped from Czech or Ukraine or Russia.

But it’s gasparin.  Gagarin we see now was the name of the famous cosmonaut.

Yes, Yuri flew for the Ruskies before I was born, and Gasparin engines were already rare when I first heard of them--never even saw one, but heard that they were marvels of tiny perfection. After all these years, I'm surprised I came that close, right off the bat! 1988? Thereabouts.

But I still have two Cox TeeDee .010s and an RC Queen Bee .020 . . . . .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Sweet.

i see it has “safe” technology which I presume is like our Corsair which is a sophisticated autopilot that has like esp - keeps you in the flying envelope protection.  And a straight and level button!  Included in a few hundred dollar airplane its more than you can expect for 20k in a real airplane!

the electric propulsion - Light high energy lipo batteries and Light High brushless motors Have changed everything from when it used to be gas engines.

The small Li-Po batteries you use in these are so cheap that you can fly for hours if you want to on a small investment. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yes, Yuri flew for the Ruskies before I was born, and Gasparin engines were already rare when I first heard of them--never even saw one, but heard that they were marvels of tiny perfection. After all these years, I'm surprised I came that close, right off the bat! 1988? Thereabouts.

But I still have two Cox TeeDee .010s and an RC Queen Bee .020 . . . . .

Yah the tiny tiny gasparin engines are like Swiss watch makers - ok Czech watch makers - building tiny toy engine parts instead.

...don’t forget the most common ..  .049 Cox engine for circle line airplanes.

Edited by aviatoreb

I watched for 30secpnds before I got that...

Where did whoooo goooooo? Feeling....   :)

Amazed that it would come in well controlled from either direction over the runway at full speed...

I couldn’t follow it.

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/5/2020 at 9:27 PM, carusoam said:

I watched for 30secpnds before I got that...

Where did whoooo goooooo? Feeling....   :)

Amazed that it would come in well controlled from either direction over the runway at full speed...

I couldn’t follow it.

Best regards,

-a-

Yikes.  I've flown some fast-ish RC pylon racers in the past but watching this video made me sweat. The pilot is incredibly talented.  Flying a real missile like that from the ground is hard.

• Like 2