How to lift the front wheel on a stool

NicoN

My question may sound stupid:

Our maintenance guy somehow lifted the front gear  on a low stool to make oilchange and all work easier.

I did not remember how he did this. I only know, he did this in his own without help

these days I wanted to do the same and failed :(:wub:.

It was simply too heavy to lift at the prop ( or I was to shy) and I decided it is not a good idea to push on the tail.

Any ideas how to get this done without being in a wrestler-like shape?

EDIT: It's an M20K with the large. heavy 6-cylinder big-block-engine

Edited by NicoN

I've done it, and seen it done, on Cessner planes by pushing down on the tail.

Try setting a full case of oil on the horizontal stab, one case on either side of the vertical stabilizer. Then you won't have to push so hard.

There’s several ways lifting the nose could have been done (pushing down on the tail, engine hoist,  jacking the mains with a tail weight, placing the stool under the nose tire and then lowering mains and removing the tail weight.  However, I’m still trying to determine what benefits there are to be had for maintenance to have the nose on a stool (maybe the thought is to help the oil,drain better?)?

You should be able to push the tail down.  I would try pushing on the area just forward of the horizontal stabilizer for the best leverage.   I used to turn my 152 around like that.  Haven't needed to do it to the Mooney, but I imagine it would work.  I'm not sure what mx this would help with, but you also might consider buying a stool like this for you to sit on:

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html

First, the maintenance guy say, it helps and accelerates the oil-drain and should even reduce the mess when removing the oil filter.

Second, I think it could help to get better access to the bottom of the fuselage.

At the moment I am using one of these roling beds and still have not much clearance to remove the belly covers

2 hours ago, NicoN said:

EDIT: It's an M20K with the large. heavy 6-cylinder big-block-engine

I don't think our TSIO-360's qualify for "big block" - we are "mid" all the way - mid body, mid engine...  Or do you have a Rocket?

@Denver98 and I pulled the nose wheel off this morning to get the flat fixed. I used my favorite method of lifting the nose for this job. A 2 ft piece of 3/4" pipe through the gear linkage just above the wheel. Put a jack under that and lift. We then stabilized it with a jack stand on either side while we were off fixing the flat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Denver98 and I pulled the nose wheel off this morning to get the flat fixed. I used my favorite method of lifting the nose for this job. A 2 ft piece of 3/4" pipe through the gear linkage just above the wheel. Put a jack under that and lift. We then stabilized it with a jack stand on either side while we were off fixing the flat.

That’s the best way to do it. Aircraft tails are designed for distributed loads so be careful if you load the tail to raise the nose. Shot bags or something similar are best. Cessnas have had lots of cracking problems by people man handling the tail. (There is a safe way to do it on a Cessna, but you have to push on a tail bulkhead and not on the stabilizer).

Skip

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cferr59 said:

You should be able to push the tail down.  I would try pushing on the area just forward of the horizontal stabilizer for the best leverage.   I used to turn my 152 around like that.  Haven't needed to do it to the Mooney, but I imagine it would work.  I'm not sure what mx this would help with, but you also might consider buying a stool like this for you to sit on:

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html

I have a couple of those HF type stools which did not last. They lost their "hydraulic" action and just go all the way to the bottom of their travel.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 4:07 AM, NicoN said:

@PT20J: Sounds doable. But still heavy, i think. I guess, I still need a second person

It seems safer to me to always have at least two people any time lifting an airplane by any means.   One person to think and watch what is happening and detect potential hazards as they develop is really good.  To me this is a rule.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, DonMuncy said:

I have a couple of those HF type stools which did not last. They lost their "hydraulic" action and just go all the way to the bottom of their travel.

You just mentioned my favorite tool for helping me remove and install the lower cowling by myself.  One of those $20 harbor freight stools. And an old main tire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisk said:

You just mentioned my favorite tool for helping me remove and install the lower cowling by myself.  One of those $20 harbor freight stools. And an old main tire.

Even though mine have lost their hydraulics, I still use one to remove my lower cowl  by myself as well.

• Like 1