Emergency Mic PTT

PT20J

My 1994 M20J has emergency microphone and headphone jacks located on the center console. I believe that is standard with most mid and long body Mooneys. The microphone jack is intended for use with the handheld mic which has an integral push to talk switch. From my experience, the most likely component to fail is the sub-miniature PTT on the pilot yoke in which case it would be nice to just plug the headset into the emergency jacks. The problem with this is that there is no PTT to enable the headset microphone. Has anyone thought to add a PTT switch to the emergency microphone jack?

Skip

In 94 a telex(?) mike with a button on it was standard... (the thin one)

Check in the way back.... somebody probably through it back there and hasn’t been seen since...

It might get a mention in the POH as added stuff... for the WnB...

Do you have the mike holder to go with that? (Good for holding a mini screw driver to remove the kln90B)

https://www.marvgolden.com/telex-100-tra-hand-mic-right-angle.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwt-L2BRA_EiwAacX32YQs5pU59n1n9OEA9jsnVVws1mk9YpaeGgMm4CptLyukjhg3q3DjVxoC2ukQAvD_BwE

Best regards,

-a-

Perhaps I wasn’t clear.

1. The emergency mic jack won’t work with a headset boom mic because there is no PTT since the jack is designed to be used with a handheld mic that has an integral PTT. 

2. The most failure prone component in the system is the yoke PTT since it is a small mechanical switch that gets used a lot.

3. If the yoke PTT fails, it would be nice to continue to use the headset. This could be done by plugging the headset plugs into the emergency jacks IF a PTT were added to the emergency mic jack (which is trivial - just wire a momentary pushbutton between tip and sleeve and mount it somewhere convenient).

I was just curious if anyone had done this?

Skip

5 hours ago, gacoon said:

I have a ptt on co-pilot side.  If I needed to I could plug in over there.  

Sadly, I had to do that once. Not in my plane.  It's awkward having to reach for the other yoke whenever ATC calls. But it's not as awkward as being unable to communicate.