M20K 252 Cowling

Here are some pics of the progress. The plane is based out of KRIU in northern CA.  We've had the landing gear completely rebuilt, and stripped/repainted the gear wells.  The engine has been overhauled and mounted, and the installation is in progress.  LASAR recently moved over to KRIU (lucky for me!), and they have been helping a ton on the project. They've worked out all the challenges to date to get this back in the air! Just need the cowling.  Thanks everyone for the help!

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

• Like 1

Magnifico, que belisimo!  :)

That is a beautiful work of mechanical art!

Thanks for sharing the details...

Do you have an intercooler to go with that cowling project?

We have an intercooler guy around here as well...

Best regards,

-a-

What happened to the original engine cowls?  If damaged are they repairable?  Byron, @jetdriven did quite a rebuild of his J cowl, there is a thread with pictures and details somewhere around here.

Clarence

• 4 weeks later...
I have the original cowling in good shape, but it's for a 231.

I thought the airframe looked like a 231 rather than 252.

All the new work looks beautiful!

Inquiring minds are curious as to how you were able to get approval to install the MB in a 231 airframe? Thought those STCs were no longer.

Are you sure the 231 upper cowling was essentially the same as the 252? I thought they were different in how high they went up - but not really sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/9/2020 at 12:45 AM, kortopates said:

Inquiring minds are curious as to how you were able to get approval to install the MB in a 231 airframe? Thought those STCs were no longer.

@Brett Larsen I’m interested in how you got this done as well.  I would pay some serious money to be able to upgrade my LB to an MB