I found this under my carburetor

Interesting find. I don’t know either. It’s probably steel correct? Maybe a mis-rigged bushing first some carb heat items. 
Also, it appears your cowl flap hinge is cracked. I have had that style throttle and mixture fittings depart in the past. Finally, the fuel hose has nonstandard fire-sleeve.  

-Matt

20 minutes ago, Robert Hicks said:

It kinda looks like the drive gear on the vacuum pump. Did you remove your vacuum system or change the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this screw and nut as well on the other side 

20200602_161221.jpg

I found this screw and nut as well on the other side 
20200602_161221.thumb.jpg.f7ce7379fe68e2d5cb91c3151b4791e2.jpg

Ok this new info debunks my vacuum pump idea. I just finished overhauling an O-360. I’d like to feel like I know every nut and bolt but this one isn’t familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[In non-aviation] I have seen bushing that are pressed into large blocks that are ribbed like that.  The ribs flex and crush to make the fit more robust.  The force required to put one in means a lot force (or heat) required to get it out.  

The second one with an unpopulated safety wire hole and a lock nut on the other suggests left over parts.  I don't know how it could fall out.  Check with your A&P, and in a very stern voice, ask if they swapped out anything that looks like that recently...

So that part came from my alternator, I was about to replace my Voltage regulator when I saw this screw came off alternator bracket making the alternator wriggling and not producing enough power to charge the battery.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, MB65E said:

Interesting find. I don’t know either. It’s probably steel correct? Maybe a mis-rigged bushing first some carb heat items. 
Also, it appears your cowl flap hinge is cracked. I have had that style throttle and mixture fittings depart in the past. Finally, the fuel hose has nonstandard fire-sleeve.  

-Matt

You forgot to mention the missing tinnerman and screw on the flap. :) 

seriously, do get the MP and mixture cable ends replaced with the new style, heim type as called for in the SB. Its hell to land them when they are stuck wide open because of a failure of this part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

seriously, do get the MP and mixture cable ends replaced with the new style, heim type as called for in the SB. Its hell to land them when they are stuck wide open because of a failure of this part.

I will second Mike on the throttle connection.  The old-style ball and socket should be replaced with the new one that uses a heim rod-end.  Mooney makes a retrofit kit.  I ordered mine through Don Maxwell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I left that one for you Mike. ;-)

Glad the OP is going the right direction now.

-Matt

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MB65E said:

-Matt

Do you mean this crack, my airplane just got an annual last month

Screenshot_20200603-085850_Gallery.jpg

9 minutes ago, MB65E said:

Hi, yes. Not sure if that’s a doubler on the back or not, couldn’t tell. Just want you to have a safe airplane. My inspector eyes couldn’t help themselves. 
Take Care!
-Matt

I really appreciate it, I'll double check today, much much appreciated!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rwsavory said:

I will second Mike on the throttle connection.  The old-style ball and socket should be replaced with the new one that uses a heim rod-end.  Mooney makes a retrofit kit.  I ordered mine through Don Maxwell.

Roger, I'll call Don Maxwell and order the parts, thanks for sharing information. 

Regards

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MB65E said:

Hi, yes. Not sure if that’s a doubler on the back or not, couldn’t tell. Just want you to have a safe airplane. My inspector eyes couldn’t help themselves. 
Take Care!
-Matt

It seems I’m late to the party!

Clarence

1 hour ago, Ross Taylor said:

I'm so often impressed by how much some of you notice in photos.  While I've got my cowling off, I'm going to snap good photos and post them just to see what I'm missing.  MS rocks...really.

Cheaper than an annual inspection and probably catches more issues :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Retro kit Pn. 660051-005 also available at LASAR.  Last time I checked it was about $60.  Call Dan.

The "kit" is pretty basic, you can probably find the necessary parts from Spruce cheaper.  I'm not sure what paper-work is required; maybe the professional mechanics can chime in on this?  @M20Doc

• Like 1

/shameless plug mode = ON

The wonderful MSC's who support the Mooney Summit might be worthy of considering as vendors for your Mooney Parts needs. These great companies along with all of our sponsors allow us to provide not only help for downed Mooney pilots, but enable us to provide fantastic content at the Summit each year for your education and entertainment

They are:

Oasis Aero

Premier Aircraft

Southwest Texas Aviation

AGL Aviation

Daytona Aircraft Services

I would be remiss to not plug them for all they have done for us as a community, along with Clarence  who has little to gain and donates an oil change kit each year for our raffle. Do consider supporting these fine organizations who support the Mooney community.

/shameless pluig mode = OFF

• Like 5

On 6/3/2020 at 8:57 AM, mike_elliott said:

What SB is that....can you give the whole number.....

I had a throttle cable come detached once on a plane just after I landed...had to meter the mixture to make it manageable to make it back to the hangar....would not want that in the air.