desmd1

desmd1

Has anyone found a satisfactory mount for an iPad in the Mooney (specifically, M20K 252)?  Not on the yoke - it obstructs panel and crowds the handles, not the windshield - too much curvature and VFR obstruction.  I currently have the iPad strapped to my left thigh - the right has my flight log and scratchpad.  Is this the best we can do?

IMG_1791.jpg

• Like 1

Depends on how much excess panel room you have.  I have a Ram ball mount screwed into the panel on the right side.  iPad mini fits well.  Very secure.  Easy to pop out if you want to hold it closer to study an approach or something.

C923C229-7230-4F95-9DDE-F79114F43ADB.thumb.jpeg.a0c81d0a22aedd25f7a99d315a9171d2.jpeg

I’m short, so my seat is usually in the forward detent. Kneeboards never worked for me, as my knees have always been under the panel. Being left-handed doesn’t help, either! I’m not willing to give up any window space, or reach across a passenger to adjust or reprogram.. My iPadMini  solution, then, is a Ram-mount clamped to the yoke, with an X-back clip, oriented horizontally, leaving plenty of room for my hands.. The X-back keeps the iPad from overheating, too, easy to aim the knee-level fresh air vent at it..  I don’t find it obstructs anything I need in my normal scan. It is, therefore, close and convenient for pinching, zooming, and copying clearance amendments.

D23CA666-B797-4494-8954-83A471DC3685.jpeg

• Like 1

Alas, I have struggled with this forever.  I have modified a Garmin mount so it will fit way back in the yoke and hold the new Garmin 760 without blocking anything.  I Keep the iPad against my left hip and pull it out and set it on the knee board as needed.  Less than ideal but the best I will accept.

I had the same setup, left thigh for iPad, right for knee-board. I ended up ordering several individual RAM socket arms and bases from mypilotstore and found a working solution with a couple of pieces. I have my attached to the pilot side window in front of the pilot vent window and easy to read from the pilot seat. With the RAM setup, you can pivot it around each joint so It doesn't block the pilot vent window nor the yoke at full motion. Works really well. I will try to get a pic of it next week - work on-call for the week :-( Maybe someone else has the same set up and can post a photo.

I use the sport cradle with yoke mount with an ipad mini.  I run the arm under the yoke, and the ipad does not block the view or get in the way.  It may look like the connection is in the way and hits your knees, but it does not.  Just a result of the camera angle. 

The mount permits rotating from landscape to portrait at any time.  Ridiculously expensive (I got it much cheaper 6 years ago).  Maybe use it to inspire making your own.  I would NOT use a full size ipad in this location.  

20190407_113343.jpg

I wonder if this topic ever came up before....

Hmmm...

MSers are so much alike... they all put their identical iPad in identical locations... it all makes sense...   :)

I think this was a cool way to say look at my awesome 252... :)

Unfortunately, one iPad is no longer THE answer...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=iPad mounts&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Have you seen the G3, Dynon, and G500txi threads..?

Please accept my sense of humor... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I place mine on the right control yoke. A little bit of a pain to read charts (I usually take it out) but it is not in the way and I can look over to see most stuff. I just increase my scan to compensate for it not being right in front of me.

Brian

Mooney cockpit ipad.jpeg