Aspen 1000 Pro / EDM 900 / Garmin 795 compatibility

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the process of updating avionics.  My financial need requires that I take two bites while eating this elephant.  First, is I have an Aspen 1000 Pro with ACU and an EDM 900 going in now.  The panel mount GPS and auto pilot will have to wait a year. I have a Garmin 795 that came mounted in the airplane.

So, here are the questions...will the Aspen accept data from the Garmin 795?  (Obviously not for IFR purposes).  If it will my plan is to have the 795 as a temporary GPS source along with the vor/loc/ils data from my kx155.  Anybody see a problem with that as an interim set up until I get a panel mount next year?

Question 2...will the EDM 900 accept data from the Garmin 795 to calculate fuel required and any of the other stuff it needs a GPS for?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, RDuplechin said:

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the process of updating avionics.  My financial need requires that I take two bites while eating this elephant.  First, is I have an Aspen 1000 Pro with ACU and an EDM 900 going in now.  The panel mount GPS and auto pilot will have to wait a year. I have a Garmin 795 that came mounted in the airplane.

So, here are the questions...will the Aspen accept data from the Garmin 795?  (Obviously not for IFR purposes).  If it will my plan is to have the 795 as a temporary GPS source along with the vor/loc/ils data from my kx155.  Anybody see a problem with that as an interim set up until I get a panel mount next year?

Question 2...will the EDM 900 accept data from the Garmin 795 to calculate fuel required and any of the other stuff it needs a GPS for?

Thanks.

The EDM 900 would accept it and that may possibly be a legal install, but there's no way I could see that being a legal install for the Garmin 795 to the Aspen. I'm not even sure you could install the Aspen legally without an IFR approved GPS . .  maybe though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDuplechin said:

Technical feasibility versus legality.  "Can" it be done?  Likely yes.  Is it legal?  Likely no.  Any A&P can do the work for you if you pay them, but that doesn't necessarily make it legal or cost-efficient.  I'm curious why you would want this temporary connectivity, yet disclaim it with "(Obviously not for IFR purposes").

2 hours ago, RDuplechin said:

Again, technical feasibility versus legality.  When deciding what connections to make between pieces of equipment, keep in mind that when you finally have a plan to get to nirvana with your panel, reversing all this temporary stuff will likely require more labor than you'd planned.  You'd be better-off selling the 795 and putting the $$ toward a valid, panel-mounted device that allows both VFR and legal IFR operations.  You'll save on future labor costs when you do decide to install your new autopilot, as well as reap the benefits of added flexibility with an IFR-capable panel...whether you or a future owner intend to use the capabilities or not.

Steve

• Like 1

Good points.  I had not considered the legality of what you have to have to install an Aspen.  I guess I was just thinking about would these devices connect and not should these devices connect.  I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to take this upgrade in two logical steps and not gut my airplane and wallet all at once.  You know...20K this year and 20K next year as opposed to waiting to do 40K next year.  Maybe EDM and auto pilot this year....but then again I don’t like any of the auto pilots I currently have to choose from.  Maybe just the EDM this year.

Good plan, and I totally understand.  I’m in the same boat with the autopilot situation.  Although my KFC150 works well, I know that if it ever breaks again, repairs to it won’t be cost effective.  My first choice is the GFC600, which I still believe will eventually be an option.  One can dream...

If your plan is to spend $20k this year to get an EFIS, my suggestion is that you install a 10" G3X touch.  it has its own VFR GPS.  I think (not certain) that if you don't intend to certify the install for IFR, you may not need the G5 backup in the first bite...but that's just about $3k installed. the two of them about $16k all in.

Now, you can't get the EDM 900 installed or the rest of your first 20k (4k left but the 900 installed will be about $7000). You MIGHT be able to get EIS on th the G3x for the $4k, however.

$20K next year: $10k for a GTN650, and $10 for 2 axis GFC500, without pitch trim.  $3k more gets you pitch trim.

Just a thought.  A single Aspen installed is about the same cost of a G3x installed. Also, I'm almost certain the Aspen requires a GPS input to display complete air data, I don't think you can make it even usable without a GPS input.

FWIW.  Based on installed prices for the same stuff in my panel in 2019.

• Like 1

I’ve got the Aspen 1000 Pro already but it is not yet installed.  I’ve gone around and around about selecting the IFR GPS.  Garmin annoys me, frankly,  with their proprietary/mercenary decisions on not interfacing with other brands.  Neither Garmin nor TruTrak will get their act together and support the 20E with an A/P.  We have been next quartered and next yeared to death.  So, if  I want anything new in the near term I’m looking at an Stec 30.  I’m told the newer Garmin GPS devices don’t like the Stecs at all and there is some doubt as to whether the Garmin 175  will even  work with Aspen.  Some say yes, some say no....or you have to buy some other multi thousand dollar widget to make your other multi thousand dollar boxes talk to each other.   I refuse to be extorted by Garmin.  Some say they are the best but maybe that’s because they have muscled everyone else out of the market.  For that kind of money I shouldn’t feel like I’m buying a product simply because Garmin says so.  Sorry...off the soap box now.  My long term choice is a Aspen with an Avidyne 440 and an EDM 900.  If TruTrak ever gets it act together I’ll buy an A/P from them.  If I get tired of waiting, I guess I’ll get an Stec.  The Garmin 795 I have came with airplane.  I like it.....except for the fact that I can’t display traffic because it won’t accept data from my Sentry.  Again, if you want to play with Garmin, you can’t have any other friends.  So, I’m just working through developing a timeline that makes sense for my desired upgrades.

• Like 1

Join the club of people that refer to the big devil as Big G...

You are not alone...

And when you play this game long enough... you can dislike the next guy...   :)

Big G doesn’t necessarily make the best equipment...

But they do integrate their own equipment quite well... imperfectly sometimes...

There are no Best avionics suppliers...

If you are good at equipment integration... there are several suppliers you can go to...

Just don’t hook up an Aspen to something that isn’t qualified to drive it... there are plenty of WAAS devices that are used at low costs to send the proper signals...

PP thoughts only, I have a bunch of aged BK stuff...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

You don't want to here this, but...

I had Bendix King Avionics for 20 years while they were the big Kahuna.  I still think the KLN 90B was the best GPS of its generation.  I bought my airplane partly because of their EFIS 40 that Mooney, who was always on the forefront of avionics in their airplanes at the time, certified for the M20M.  But times change and I went with it.  Being a former Electrical Engineer working mostly on displays and having dealt with interface issues many times, I wanted a package that all worked together without my having to wonder if all the components would work together.  I was lucky to be a flight instructor who got to work with most equipment out there.  My decision was easy.  It was Garmin all the way.  Say what you may, but dealing with the big Kahuna has many benefits, like product longevity, definitive interface compatibility, really good customer support, really good warranty handling, and new and beneficial products always coming to the marketplace.  And I happen to like their uniform user interface.

I can't believe how far avionics has come since I was a display engineer with Kaiser Aerospace and Electronics in the late 1960's, when one of the sections was working with an elementary CRT display that was basically a G5 with clouds, was very heavy, but still worked in the C 172 in which they tested it.  Since everyone was a pilot there, that's when I went ahead and got my Private, too.  A couple of years ago I took my long retired Section Manager for a ride in my newly upgraded airplane and we discussed how much we would have loved to have been able to design such remarkable equipment.  Tech just hadn't progressed that far, yet.

So I was lucky to be in on the beginning of it all, and even luckier that life worked itself out in such a way that I could afford to get what I think is the very best of the best today.  From a user and former Engineer's point of view Garmin was the best way to go for me.  I should have taken a picture of the latest upgrade to the upgrade to the upgrade after I got back from Oregon a couple of weeks ago with the newly installed 750Xi and 650Xi upgrade.  I'll post one when I get down to the airport in the next few days.

• Like 3

If you are thinking of mixing and matching different manufacturers in the future, Garmin is NOT your best choice. 

There are a lot of innovative avionics products and your best choice for compatibility (of different sources) is Aspen. They encourage and work with the little guys to give you the opportunity to install and make them work together. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RDuplechin said:

I’ve got the Aspen 1000 Pro already but it is not yet installed.  I’ve gone around and around about selecting the IFR GPS.  Garmin annoys me, frankly,  with their proprietary/mercenary decisions on not interfacing with other brands.  Neither Garmin nor TruTrak will get their act together and support the 20E with an A/P.  We have been next quartered and next yeared to death.  So, if  I want anything new in the near term I’m looking at an Stec 30.  I’m told the newer Garmin GPS devices don’t like the Stecs at all and there is some doubt as to whether the Garmin 175  will even  work with Aspen.  Some say yes, some say no....or you have to buy some other multi thousand dollar widget to make your other multi thousand dollar boxes talk to each other.   I refuse to be extorted by Garmin.  Some say they are the best but maybe that’s because they have muscled everyone else out of the market.  For that kind of money I shouldn’t feel like I’m buying a product simply because Garmin says so.  Sorry...off the soap box now.  My long term choice is a Aspen with an Avidyne 440 and an EDM 900.  If TruTrak ever gets it act together I’ll buy an A/P from them.  If I get tired of waiting, I guess I’ll get an Stec.  The Garmin 795 I have came with airplane.  I like it.....except for the fact that I can’t display traffic because it won’t accept data from my Sentry.  Again, if you want to play with Garmin, you can’t have any other friends.  So, I’m just working through developing a timeline that makes sense for my desired upgrades.

A couple heretical thoughts.

If the Aspen is already purchased and you need a GPS to install it, find a GNS 430W to go with it. They play well with the Aspen and can be pulled out in the future to slip in the IFD 440. Yes, there may be some throw-away money, but you can choose when to do the IFD upgrade in a year or two or even more.

Reach out to @Jeev for the EDM 900. If there is anyone who can beat his price and service, I have yet to find them. And believe me, I looked before I bought.

You are on your way to having an even more awesome plane!

• Like 1

The 175 should interface very well with the aspen.  A 430 waas is probably a good choice too if you don’t have a good secondary nav/com.  The interface between the stec/aspen/Garmin should work as advertised. However, putting in a stec now might not be the best option with less expensive options coming someday.