Any Mooney Bravo owners in NH, MA area? Considering purchasing one would appreciate possibility of checking one locally

alexz

2 hours ago, Danb said:

I chart every fuel tank change, noting time, fuel used fuel remaining gph settings and temps

when I get to the hanger I’ll grab my book. My trip 1100+ miles averaged about 185 TAS @ 9-11000, 31/2200 TIT under 1600 highest cht 380, fuel flow 17.7. These are actual from last week. To make planning easy I count on 25 gal first hour then 18 gal for rest of flight. When calculating my trip for reserves it’s 25 first hour 20 remaining. This leaves a big reserve.

I think a (non-FIKI) ovation would do that flight on less fuel and similar speed.  At 9-11000, you are entering prime ovation altitude.  The range is a function of the big tanks here, but when you do these kind of flights, its basically a one person operation.  130 gallons of fuel leaves you with something like 200 pounds for people and stuff.  I have 89 gallon tanks and find that there aren't too many passengers that want to go past 4 hours anyway.

11 hours ago, Davidv said:

18.2 GPH in cruise at 29/24 when I do the math on fuel usage and cruise time.  Similar to @Danb I figure 25 gph for the first 45 minutes (when climbing above 20k) and 18.5 gph for cruise.

That's similar to my Bravo as well and what I plan for.  I'm 17-18.5 GPH and normally run 28-29/24 depending on headwind or tailwind. 

The long range tanks definitely assist in extending those Mooney legs even farther...makes it tempting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, daytonabch04 said:

That's similar to my Bravo as well and what I plan for.  I'm 17-18.5 GPH and normally run 28-29/24 depending on headwind or tailwind. 

The long range tanks definitely assist in extending those Mooney legs even farther...makes it tempting.

If you get your oxygen system dialed in well (X3, O2D2 with comfortable cannulas and masks) you really don't want to fly low again unless you have an abnormally large headwind to contend with.  There's no doubt that those who fly around at 8-10K feet will be happier with an Ovation every day of the week.

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 1