Mooney M20 - Area of lifting surface

Alex S

Im makin a project about aerodynamic properties of M20 (M20R to be specific). I cannot find the exact data on area of lifting surface. It is easy to find the wing surface - 174 sq ft (16.2m^2) but the vertical and horizontal stabilizer is a tough one. It would also be great to know if the Mooney has a slight sweep angle.

Welcome aboard Alex...

We have a few people around here that can probably answer your question...

While we wait for them to get in,   Do you want to tell us about yourself and your project?

The more you explain up front, the better information you will receive down the road...

Think in terms of... if I only get to ask one question, how do I motivate somebody to deliver the detail that I need...

interesting side detail... your question has a time stamp of yesterday @7:26am... is that possible?

:)

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

Check the dimensions and areas chapter of the service manual. Wings and tail surfaces all have a forward sweep.
Skip

I think “forward sweep” is an illusion.

Clarence

81976121-BB76-4A1B-B046-CB2839B3D30E.jpeg

Just now, M20Doc said:

I think “forward sweep” is an illusion.

Looks that way from the three-view, doesn’t it?

But, aerodynamicists think of a wing in terms of the quarter-chord line. The aerodynamic center (the point at which the pitching moment does not vary with angle of attack) lies very close to quarter chord and using that point as a reference simplifies calculations. So geometrically, a tapered wing with a straight leading edge and a forward swept trailing edge would have a quarter-chord line swept forward from a line perpendicular to the wing root.

Skip

On 6/3/2020 at 2:30 AM, carusoam said:

@Blue on Top hasn’t rung in on this interesting topic...?  Best regards,  -a-

OMG!!!  I am laughing so hard right now.  Thanks for the invite @carusoam@N201MKTurbo wins this battle.  Sorry, @Hank, area information will not be in the TCDS.  So here goes @Alex S.

Area information is purely just a reference number and can be defined however the OEM wants to do it.  Some will change it with wingtips and some will not.  This is done so that competitors can't compare CLmax data :).  In addition, how the area covered by the fuselage is also up to the OEM - could be straight across, could be straight across at the forward end of the strake or could be continuing the line of the strake to the centerline of the fuselage.  So, here's my suggestion.

Measure an airplane, not including dihedral on the wing, and see how it compares to the POH value.  The horizontal stabilizer and elevator should be easy.  The vertical stabilizer is another guess, but again, it is just a number.  On the vertical, it probably includes the leading edge continued down to the bottom of the fuselage, but I am not sure.  That value might also be different throughout the years as the rudder length changed, too.

Oh yeah, sweep.  Yes, all the flying surfaces are definitely forward swept.  Draw a ling between the quarter-chord of the root and tip airfoils.  Leading edge sweep is irrelevant.  

Hummmmmmm.   This might be a good topic for a "The Mooney Flyer" article :):):) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1