Emergency Landing | Baggage Door Blow Off Mid Flight | Model K

14 minutes ago, Urs_Wildermuth said:

Yes, I am almost sure that this had a lot to do with it. The way the door departed should not have happened, even if it opens in flight. However, a couple of years ago, I discovered the same kind of thing on my oil filler access door which has a similar hinge. The wire going through the piano hinge moved and partially freed some of the hinge. Had this not been rectified, it could have departed and flown into the windshield.

I still wonder if that plane was actually written off or repaired, according to flightradar and flight aware it has not flown since the incident flight.

It is good to read in the report that controlability was indeed an issue. Many armchair critics took the pilot to the cleaners after his video was published, which I found disgusting. Now we have the controlability issues on black and white. The AAIB don't put it in if it had not happened. Apart, the photos did show sufficiently how severe the damage was.

The nose gear doors use the same piano hinge structure.

Agree about second guessing the pilot. Unless you've been there you cannot imagine how terrifying a controllability issue can be. You don't know what's going on, you don't know if it will get worse, and you don't know how long before something else happens.

Skip

• Like 2

I believe the modified in the air Mooney was undergoing restoration...

The amount of dimensional changes in the tail were interesting...

The pilot did an incredible job with his in air decision making...

Something we all discuss in training without practice...   this was real.

The objective is to get on the ground... and survive.

That scores a 3 on a scale of 0 - 2....   :)

Lets see if @RedSkyFlyer is around.... it’s only been a couple of days since he was cruising through MS...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 months later...