Intake Boot Repair

57 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Have you tried liquid electrical tape?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Liquid-Electrical-Tape/dp/B0000AXNOD

this stuff is at Lowe's too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPAN2K/ref=twister_B074RB7H1W?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I've used it on my race car - great for rips, is very flexible, can seal very well...

4 years on an it's holding up well!

-Don

I started using it on boats back in the early 90’s, the stuff works really well but I’d be hesitant using it on an intake boot where if it did come loose it could get sucked into the carb/fuel servo 

• Like 1

I use this Rescue tape on heater air ducting and the like - a silicone self fusing tape: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/rescuetape.php

I started off with the uni-wrap silicone tape and found this superior. I wouln't use it on a induction hose or boots because I have to be super cautious with a turbo to prevent  ingesting any foreign debris. But I think this tape is better than some of the alternatives being discussed.

I woud never use silicone as it’s not fuel safe or oil proof for that matter.

‘I’d be real suspicious of liquid electrical tape, I have some myself but don’t know if it holds up to fuel and oil.

‘For a temporary repair for something like that, I’d go to B2 every time , that’s what many call fuel tank sealer AKA Proseal, as I’m sure everyone knows it’s available as either A or B, the A is thinner than the B, the number is available from 1/2 to 2. that’s the number of hours it’s pot life is, so of course 1/2 sets up four times faster than the 2.

We know it’s fuel and oil proof, and anyone who has removed it from a fuel tank can attest to how tough and resilient it is.

‘I’d think painting a layer of A on the boot would at least work as a temporary repair, certainly better than tape or silicone.

‘B2 is an extremely useful thing to have, it’s not classified as an adhesive, but try to get parts it’s holding together apart and make up your own mind.

There used to be a rubber repair process called “hot vulcanizing”.  I wonder if it is still around?  The original manufacturer of these ducts appears to be using a cloth or fiberglass lay up with some type of rubber compound. It could be a heat cure or chemical cure.  

1 hour ago, Gary0747 said:

There used to be a rubber repair process called “hot vulcanizing”.  I wonder if it is still around?  The original manufacturer of these ducts appears to be using a cloth or fiberglass lay up with some type of rubber compound. It could be a heat cure or chemical cure.  

These ducts were probably made with the same material used in fuel bladders. It is cotton cloth tape or sheets in un-vulcanized rubber. They wrap it around a form and then put it in an oven. For bladders they use a cardboard box as a form. After it is vulcanized, they fill it with boiling water which softens the box and then they wad up the box and pull it out the filler hole.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...