Worst weather ever.

I know everyone has this story, and I've had more than my share so I have reference. Two days ago here in the Hill Country, we had the worst in terms of volume hail/thunderstorm we've ever had, ever. I was caught in it, driving, in the heaviest part. How my windshield didn't cave in, I don't know, but I don't ever want to do that again. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Too many airplanes flying adding CO2 to the atmosphere!

I think it's the opposite, the covid-19 keeping planes on the ground so weather is not getting broke up by aircraft :D

• Like 2

Back in the day when there were still old WWII pilots hanging around the airport lounge, I asked an old P51 pilot about how they handled thunderstorms back then. He said they would loosen up the formation and fly right through them. he said nobody minded because nobody would shoot at you in a storm. 

His advice was to bite down on your pencil so you don't chip your teeth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Back in the day when there were still old WWII pilots hanging around the airport lounge, I asked an old P51 pilot about how they handled thunderstorms back then. He said they would loosen up the formation and fly right through them. he said nobody minded because nobody would shoot at you in a storm. 

His advice was to bite down on your pencil so you don't chip your teeth.

A correct priority choice. Or should I say, the lesser of two evils....... hopefully.

• Haha 1

To the best of my knowledge nobody shoots at me when I’m flying, so I’ll continue to fly around the ugly stuff... there was a Cherokee 180 driver on the field that was bragging in sorts that he made it through a T-storm, until someone pointed out that one of the wing tips was about 6” higher than the other.... I think Wentworth got that one

5 hours ago, RLCarter said:

To the best of my knowledge nobody shoots at me when I’m flying, so I’ll continue to fly around the ugly stuff... there was a Cherokee 180 driver on the field that was bragging in sorts that he made it through a T-storm, until someone pointed out that one of the wing tips was about 6” higher than the other.... I think Wentworth got that one

What's that about old pilots and bold pilots?

• Like 1

Courcheval LFLJ in Dec2017, I was trying to get checked on altitude airport flying that winter with a local instructor before flying there in summer solo, no flying and no ski for full week, we could not even drive the car (small one under the snow)

https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F2017%E2%80%9318_European_windstorm_season%23Storm_Ana&usg=AOvVaw0DygRhxNO7l488-E2y_G7Y

524B83DE-2EC9-4086-A32D-EAEECA473B12.jpeg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1

My grandfather (fighter pilot and test pilot) had two really bad thunderstorm encounters all in peace time.  The first was flying a B-25 on a Friday night from NY to FL.  That's how courted my grandmother in FL.  Navigator directed him right into a really bad T-storm despite my grandfather warning him and to watch the lightning closely.  That one really shook him up.

Second was lead on a flight of F-80s on their way to Alaska after being winterized/moded for artic weather.  Being winterized the nose or leading edges (I forget which) were painted red.  In trail formation he wandered into a T-storm in southern Louisiana.  After exiting the storm, no one had red on their plane anymore.

He would never get anywhere close to a storm in a small GA plane.  Never intentionally flew into one in the South Pacific in combat either.

William

• Like 1