De-ice timer

Found this in the tail today. The thing is, I don’t have electric de-ice, I have the TKS slinger on my prop. TKS was installed just a few hours after the plane was first sold. I am thinking the TKS installers should have removed it but did not. According to the original equipment list in the POH the prop de-ice is worth 5 lb and was never shown as removed.

3bc6c78d242d1eaad17143cd35094190.jpg

Interesting...

See if you can get the wiring diagram for that... to find out how heavy the wires are...

The timer is probably operating a relay way up front...

The current carrying wires are probably pretty short, if they don’t have to go all the way to the tail...

If they do go to the tail... you probably have found four pounds of wire...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

My guess is the earlier owner that installed the TKS didn't want to pay the labor to remove the prop de-ice system. The timer is just one small part of the system, the plate up behind the spinner that the de-ice brushes mate too has to be 80%+ of the weight of the system. Then there is the small panel unit. Kinda hard to clean up the wiring though without removing pilot side interior plastic panels to get access. Plus the prop would have to come off to get the de-ice plate off. Maybe a project to undertake next time you have your prop overhauled.

Edited by kortopates

The actual hardware at the propeller end of things is certainly removed. No plate, brushes, etc. The only thing they did not take out is the timer in the back. The original equipment list in the W&B section however does not show the system removed. I was thinking maybe I found 5 lb UL. But... Reviewing the logbook they re-weighed the airplane after TKS was installed. That would have captured that the propeller hardware was removed.  Maybe I could remove the timer and get 1lb back...

The wires are 14 gauge. I don't think there is a relay in the circuit. If they left the current monitor installed, I have a spare in case the pitot heat current monitor dies. I'll have to look for it.