Limited right aileron travel with clunking

So I just got my 1966 20E ferried to me.  First plane, super excited.

The next day I'm sitting in my new plane making airplane noises waiting for weather to clear and noticed that the yoke turns farther to the left than the right...  I confirmed by watching the ailerons.  Same thing, more travel when turning left.  I then noticed when I rotate the yoke to the far right I hear a thump in the front half of right wing about 2 feet out from the fuselage.  If I turn far left, no thump. 

If feels like something in the wing is restricting full travel when turning to the right.  Has anyone seen this before?

and yes, I had a pre-buy inspection at a MSC.    

• Like 2

There are some screws that go into the inspection panels where a couple of them need to be shorter in order to avoid hitting the aileron control tube in the front of wing. But it shouldn't take but a few minutes to find the source. I'd listen right by the inspection panels as someone moved the aileron before pulling the screws since if that's it, it'll disappear with the panels off.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kortopates said:

There are some screws that go into the inspection panels where a couple of them need to be shorter in order to avoid hitting the aileron control tube in the front of wing. But it shouldn't take but a few minutes to find the source. I'd listen right by the inspection panels as someone moved the aileron before pulling the screws since if that's it, it'll disappear with the panels off.

Good info.  I'll listen then take off the panels tomorrow.  

I was there by myself last time so I couldn't really move around to investigate.  

Also, it will feel weird turning back and forth depending on your nose gear position.  There is a little bit of rudder/aileron/nose wheel interconnect that will make the airplane feel “wonky” (technical term) depending on where the nose wheel is pointed.  Definitely shouldn’t clunk though.

Likely what the other guys said, but just be aware...

3 hours ago, flyingchump said:

Good info.  I'll listen then take off the panels tomorrow.  

I was there by myself last time so I couldn't really move around to investigate.  

Believe it or not...

Somebody has reported this before...

Expect that somebody has put some long screws in the inspection panel... As Paul described above...

Finding it by yourself can be done... but from the outside...

The ailerons are connected at both ends... you can either move the yoke and listen...

or move the airlerons and listen...

or bring a friend...

Work on your pre-flight routine... when you box out the controls... see if you can find when it happens...

Expect that screw is making a mark on something...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-