Spontaneous Touch and Go at Newark Airport KEWR

201er

First flight since getting the bird back from annual and nearly being gassed cause of a loose exhaust. A bit rusty, wanted to do some patternwork but topped out with gas and two on board, it was real sluggish with the rising temps. Decided to fly up toward Westchester and circle over my wife who's visiting her mother. Could barely see the Verrazano Bridge because it was embedded in fog but clear everywhere else. East River up, Hudson back down. They came out to wave as we circled overhead. They're by the line near the red car.

IMG_4034.thumb.JPG.ba6a772ceefae5eb19e4dbb14b805ecb.JPG

Heading back, Newark tower asked me how I wanted to get back to Linden so instinctively I asked for the usual (which you're not guaranteed to get) to cross the Newark arrivals south of the Bayonne in the Linden exclusion. He cleared me for that without hesitation and even offered direct. Last time they gave me direct, they gave me so many vectors that it took longer than to take the exclusion. But, things were different this time. He actually gave me direct which would have me descend right through the Newark runways. He said they've got 5-8 guys in the tower cab and only 5 airplanes an hour. I offered to make a sixth and spontaneously entered a pattern for a touch and go at Newark Liberty International Airport's Runway 22R.

After a very casual unrushed roll out, I took off again, made a right turn and I was on downwind for runway 9 at Linden. What a flight.

• Like 18

Billing is an interesting question....

The FAA doesn’t mail a bill... do they?

You have to go inside to talk to the FBO for that... 

Somewhere there is some logic behind when the billing becomes appropriate...

The tower doesn’t usually decide if that was one landing or two... does a go-around count... 

The FBO does all the billing activity... and handles the variety of fees and taxes...

I like how Mikey asked if they weren’t so busy... 5 planes per hour...

The runway is GIGANTIC... and Mike puts it down right on the numbers...   :)

Erik, when ready... tune up the Boston accent... get the go-pro going... make it happen! :)

Best regards,

-a-

49 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Huh!

makes think about going to Logan.

KBOS is doable even during normal times. It’s more GA friendly. They have some smaller runways and even an Atlantic Aviation FBO. Once did an ILS approach in actual sandwiched between 737s. Here’s a VFR into Logan.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, 201er said:

KBOS is doable even during normal times. It’s more GA friendly. They have some smaller runways and even an Atlantic Aviation FBO. Once did an ILS approach in actual sandwiched between 737s. Here’s a VFR into Logan.

Cool!

ive always been scared off by the $9.50 fuel.

Edited by aviatoreb

I’m actually a bit surprised I haven’t been grilled yet for doing a touch and go in a Mooney. Or for that matter making the flight LOP, using flaps on landing, flying by AOA, and just all around having no clue what I’m doing... :lol:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

ive always been scared off by the $9.50 fuel.

I am surprised they even sell Avgas 100LL there, let alone have quote any price :o
Someone is running DC3 & Beech18 airlines?

16 hours ago, JT said:

Landing fee?

Just start pulling out of the pocket until I tell you to stop :lol:

Edited by Ibra

15 hours ago, 201er said:

Caldwell airport sure does look a lot  different from when I learned to fly there in 1980, although the buildings along Passaic Avenue are still the same, sans The Ground Round.

1 hour ago, Ibra said:

I am surprised they even sell Avgas 100LL there, let alone have quote any price :o
Someone is running DC3 & Beech18 airlines?

Just start pulling out of the pocket until I tell you to stop :lol:

Cape Air flies in and out of KBOS all over the Northeast with a fleet of Cessna 402's.  So they certainly have the stuff on the field.  But $9.50 is their go-away-we-don't-want-you-here pricing.  Actually today in pandemic land its down to $8.62.  But nearby at KOWD where I have gone every time its $4.59.  Also, they have a crazy high handling fee of something like $250 - so I hear from a friend who flies part 135 and that's I think what he said they charge for his Twin Commanche - or even more if he goes in with his king air.

Can we be charged handling fees for a touch and go?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

In FAA-land and publicly funded airports (almost all of them) - not likely.  In EASA-land - most likely yes, including the airports built with tax money.

31 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Cape Air flies in and out of KBOS all over the Northeast with a fleet of Cessna 402's.  So they certainly have the stuff on the field.  But $9.50 is their go-away-we-don't-want-you-here pricing.  Actually today in pandemic land its down to $8.62.  But nearby at KOWD where I have gone every time its $4.59.  Also, they have a crazy high handling fee of something like $250 - so I hear from a friend who flies part 135 and that's I think what he said they charge for his Twin Commanche - or even more if he goes in with his king air.

Depends if they get their hands on you!!! :lol::lol:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Very cool Mike!  Last time I was at EWR after dropping off a pax I was 17 in line for departure.

Regarding BOS - they are friendly.  However they get you if you come inside the FBO.  They charge you a big security fee to go through their metal detector to get back out onto the ramp.  If you drop someone off and they pay for you, and you never go into the FBO, but do park.  Yes there's a handling fee but no crazy high security fee on your bill as you didn't use the metal detector (no joke).

So, if you go to the FBO, and call in to pay, and never go inside, your bill we be less than if you need to go back out to your airplane - good knowledge to know before going to BOS.

-Seth

36 minutes ago, 201er said:

Depends if they get their hands on you!!!

I heard Mooney are spared as they are fast to get caught, butvthey do catch slow aircraft like Cessna & Pipers and the few Mooniacs who run deep LOP, be careful out there fellas :lol:

Meanwhile on London Gatwick a friend send me pics where he managed to get low to instrument minima than anyone else (we are asked to go away at 600ft agl as Signature owns and charge for everything from runway ground effect to the toilettes in the ramp), he has charming accent but I suspect another case of "Cirrus favouritism" at Gatwick :angry: 

IMG-20200520-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200520-WA0004.jpg

Just now, Ibra said:

I heard Mooney are spared as they are fast to get caught, butvthey do catch slow aircraft like Cessna & Pipers and the few Mooniacs who run deep LOP, be careful out there fellas :lol:

Meanwhile on London Gatwick a friend send me pics where he managed to get low to instrument minima than anyone else (we are asked to go away at 600ft agl as Signature owns and charge for everything from runway ground effect to the toilettes in the ramp), he has charming accent but I suspect another case of "Cirrus favouritism" at Gatwick :angry: 

IMG-20200520-WA0003.jpg

Wow, surprised Gatwick's such a petite little airport. Kind of expected something bigger. Lots of Charlies around here bigger than that. Visit those in a Mooney any day of the week and only maybe pay $50 to Signature if you stay the night and don't take fuel.

Just now, 201er said:

Wow, surprised Gatwick's such a petite little airport. Kind of expected something bigger. Lots of Charlies around here bigger than that. Visit those in a Mooney any day of the week and only maybe pay $50 to Signature if you stay the night and don't take fuel.

Yes mainly just priced out by handlers not to ever deal with piston GA and keeping it mainly airliners and commercial jets, obviously not a big issue as there are better GA alternatives around with better and quick links or drives to the city 

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

You know who's terrible about nickle and dimeing you like this? The Canadians! They're like when your wife's annoying friend comes to lunch and starts splitting the check, "well I only had 3 stuffed mushrooms and you had 4, you ordered the steak while I had the chicken with a glass of wine, you want to tip 20% but I didn't think the service was worth more than 18, blah blah..." The Canadians will charge like $2.37 for touching down, $5.17 for parking, $4.38 for using the bathroom, but minus a dollar cause you didn't go number 2, $6.45 for handling, $1.28 for using their chocks, etc... :lol::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 201er said:

You know who's terrible about nickle and dimeing you like this? The Canadians! They're like when your wife's annoying friend comes to lunch and starts splitting the check, "well I only had 3 stuffed mushrooms and you had 4, you ordered the steak while I had the chicken with a glass of wine, you want to tip 20% but I didn't think the service was worth more than 18, blah blah..." The Canadians will charge like $2.37 for touching down, $5.17 for parking, $4.38 for using the bathroom, but minus a dollar cause you didn't go number 2, $6.45 for handling, $1.28 for using their chocks, etc... :lol::lol:

Mike, was that at all the far North airports you've visited? I've been to a lot of Canadian airports and never had that experience.

1 minute ago, ohdub said:

Mike, was that at all the far North airports you've visited? I've been to a lot of Canadian airports and never had that experience.

I dunno, I continue getting odd bills for nickles and dimes from Canadian airports like that years later. From places like Winnipeg, Nova Scotia, Nanavut. It's really hit or miss. Sometimes it's from dead empty airports with nobody but a single fss. One time they charged me like 50 bucks for navigation service for about 30 mins while crossing lake Eerie. Sometimes it's hard to tell which flight exactly they're charging me for because I've been back to Canada several times since the one it's about.

Edited by 201er

17 minutes ago, 201er said:

I dunno, I continue getting odd bills for nickles and dimes from Canadian airports like that years later. From places like Winnipeg, Nova Scotia, Nanavut. It's really hit or miss. Sometimes it's from dead empty airports with nobody but a single fss. One time they charged me like 50 bucks for navigation service for about 30 mins while crossing lake Eerie. Sometimes it's hard to tell which flight exactly they're charging me for because I've been back to Canada several times since the one it's about.

Same here. I made one trip to Churchill and back. I got random bills from various locations in Canada for months afterwards. Some would come from a local airport and you knew what it was. Others would just come from Transport Canada and I had no idea what they were for. I don't think any of them were more than $10. But they were seemingly random and just kept coming for months. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Same here. I made one trip to Churchill and back. I got random bills from various locations in Canada for months afterwards. Some would come from a local airport and you knew what it was. Others would just come from Transport Canada and I had no idea what they were for. I don't think any of them were more than $10. But they were seemingly random and just kept coming for months. 

That's disappointing!

33 minutes ago, 201er said:

Sometimes it's hard to tell which flight exactly they're charging me for because I've been back to Canada several times since the one it's about.

Got the same from France in some airports where you can’t pay cash or card for a 3.47€ landing fee on a weekend, they send that invoice 6 months later on the aircraft registered address which is a US trust in Nevada (for N-tails based outside the US), they forward that bill 6 months later to some office in Suffolk, England, who sends it 3 months after to the partnership main owner address who only visits the UK in the summers, he then send it to me 3 months later after looking who flew that day or calling 4 phone numbers, for payments they take wire transfers or payments in local euros cheque books, surprisingly my wife still has one of these, ok the cheque got sent with 2£ stamp on it and the money never got collected :blink:

Edited by Ibra
  • Haha 2