WANTED: Auto Pilot or wing leveler for 65 M20E

Hi Everyone,

My airplane’s original PC system was removed before I bought it last year.  I believe that everything was removed at that time so let’s assume I’m starting from scratch.  I’m fully aware that the consensus will likely be that the best way to get an autopilot in a 20E is to “buy an airplane that already has one.”  So, let’s just get it out of the way and say I’m stubborn so I’m looking for the best way to get an A/P in THIS airplane.  Other than a Century 1 or an Stec 20/30, do I have any viable options?  Are any other systems allowed in this aircraft?   A new Stec 30 is 12 plus install.  That might be necessary but I wanted to explore the used market first.  Does anyone have a legacy system for sale...complete or nearly so...that would work in my airplane?  Thank you.

The only thing out there that I know of are legacy systems from Stec or Century.  

Installing a used autopilot is expensive if you can even find someone to do it.  I was recently advised by Stec that re-certifying a used system, providing STC paperwork and required install kit would run at least $5000 and could easily run to $10,000 depending on the condition of the components submitted.  Not too sure about Century but I haven’t found anyone willing to even consider installing a used one. 

Brittain used to be an option, used equipment was cheap, it was a simple expansion of the already installed PC system, service was reasonable, and by all accounts the system worked very well.  Then the gentleman providing the support passed away.  We are in limbo and it looks doubtful that anyone will step up with the knowledge required to carry the torch.

I hope you enjoy hand flying!

With as many people upgrading to new digital autopilots I would think getting a decent used one shouldn't be too hard.  That being said, I have no idea about getting the proper STC paperwork and installation headaches as was mentioned above.

If you can hold out, I think the Tru-Track autopilot could be a very good and economical option but I have not been keeping up on their certification process. I personally am looking forward to a full panel upgrade when the Dynon autopilot gets approved for my F model.  Whenever I finally make that leap I could sell you a used S-Tec 50 but that could easily be a year from now.

Genesys (Stec) is probably the worst company to deal with regarding used or second hand equipment. They just do not want anyone to buy or use their stuff second hand. From their autopilots to a simple GPSS unit, they will charge enough for the STC and "recertification" to make buying anything on the used marked, a losing proposition.

That alone would make me hesitant to buy any of their new stuff.

Do a search on Brittain PC systems...

Every now and then a whole system comes out...

What you find in the thread often includes what they were doing next...

See if that helps...

Installing old stuff, that complex... is going to be expensive and just painful... unless you are mechanically inclined...

Best regards,

-a-

Tossing this into the ring.....I have the complete wing leveler system that was removed from my '66 M20E minus the vacuum tubing. The remote gyro needs to be overhauled and I haven't checked the servos for leaks, although they appear to be in good condition. The reason I say remote gyro overhaul is because it would operate fine and then suddenly get a mind of it's own. If you think you might be interested, let me know. Wasn't really looking to sell it, but if it is what you are looking for, I'd probably part with it.

FYI, if you are looking at autopilot systems and don't need it tomorrow, Garmin should have the GFC500 certification for short body Mooneys some time this fall. They are using my '66 E to get certs. I just delivered it to them yesterday.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Wes.  I was looking at the Garmin system but if I understand correctly their engineering philosophy is that they only want to work and play with other Garmin items.  If you have Aspen or Avidyne you are SOL.  Would you say this is accurate?  I’ve sort of ruled out the Garmin AP for that reason.

26 minutes ago, RDuplechin said:

Thanks for the reply Wes.  I was looking at the Garmin system but if I understand correctly their engineering philosophy is that they only want to work and play with other Garmin items.  If you have Aspen or Avidyne you are SOL.  Would you say this is accurate?  I’ve sort of ruled out the Garmin AP for that reason.

I think you're right about the Aspen. Although I'll be the Avidyne works just fine with the GFC500. I'm sure it's not on the paperwork. But I'm interested to see if anyone could test it. 

If there was someone close to me who had a working GFC500 system with a 530W... I'd be willing to swap my IFD540 in just for a quick test. 

Anyone know why that wouldn't work?

Hey @Wes - I've also got a '66 E with the Brittain system.  I've got no plans, or budget, to replace it...but I could use some spare parts.  I'll stand, second in line, with interest in your components (all of them, not piecemeal) if you decide to part with it and if @RDuplechin doesn't need it.

Thanks,

Ross

I have no idea what GFC500 is or isn't compatible with....my guess is it should play with others as that would also be a disadvantage to Garmin if it didn't. Again, I'm not the guy to say what it'll be compatible with. That would be a good question for an avionics shop/Garmin dealer. 

As far as the wing leveler system, I'll have to pull it out, look it over, and take some pics. I've just recently logged into ms and haven't posted pictures so not sure how yet. If you give me an email, or cell #, I can mail or text pics of what I have.

Ross, I spoke with RDuplechin and shared the info on the wing leveling system. I'd like to give him a little time to do some research. If he finds that this isn't what he is looking for, I will be glad to pass the same information your direction. 

2 hours ago, Wes said:

Ross, I spoke with RDuplechin and shared the info on the wing leveling system. I'd like to give him a little time to do some research. If he finds that this isn't what he is looking for, I will be glad to pass the same information your direction. 

That's perfect and he's definitely first!  I'm in no hurry.  Thanks.